Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question, maybe: would a terraced house smell of damp when you get back from 10 day holiday...or is something going on?

(10 Posts)
nomorekisses Mon 20-May-13 12:28:12

We got back yesterday. The house smells fusty/of damp and still does this morning. It's not long renovated, and I can see a couple of damp spots on the ceiling from a crack in the rendering that we know about - but they've been there for ages. There's no signs of any other damp/problems.

DH says it's because it's been wet and no one has been here, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Any thoughts?

Jaynebxl Mon 20-May-13 13:15:26

We currently live in a really old terraced house and have never smelled damp, even after a holiday. Doesn't seem normal to me.

Yonihadtoask Mon 20-May-13 13:17:01

No. If you had been gone for 6 months over the wnter then maybe a little musty. But not for 10 days.

something needs looking at.

nomorekisses Mon 20-May-13 13:58:24

But if it's not noticeable to the eye, where do you start looking to see what's going on? How do you find the 'something that needs looking at?'

QuackQuackChicken Mon 20-May-13 14:01:38

The damp people have got those gizmos (technical word) that they hold against the wall and they can tell if there's a problem.

lalalonglegs Mon 20-May-13 15:20:37

It could be behind cupboards, under the bath or kitchen units - lots of places that aren't visible. Your house definitely shouldnt smell damp after 10 days. Have you checked the loft to make sure there isn't a leak in the roof?

flow4 Mon 20-May-13 15:33:09

My house sometimes smells damp when we come back from a holiday. It used to be very bad before I had the basement kitchen properly damp-proofed: once, we went away for 3 weeks, and came back to mildew all over the pine kitchen table, just from the moisture in the air! sad Now it is much better, but a bit of mustiness is not unusual, even after a week. It is an Edwardian terrace over 100 years old, and an end terrace, in an area with high rainfall. It depends on the weather - i.e. if there is a lot of rain coming from one particular direction. Probably I should get that external wall re-pointed, though it looks fine from the outside. Also, the house has old/original lime plaster, which smells very different from modern plaster if/when it gets wet.

I'd say investigate, and if you can't find anything, it's probably 'normal'.

littlecrystal Mon 20-May-13 20:30:39

Our 110 years old house smells damp and musty after a day out. Not as bad, but still I don't think it is normal.A damp proof company recommended DPC in some corners of the house, but I suspect there is more. I am now saving for a full leak inspection - they do it buy checking all pipes including cctv camera for drains, thermal imaging and gas in the pipes, depending if needed. It will cost about £500. I hope this will help to find the cause.

iheartdusty Mon 20-May-13 22:02:01

The first place I would look would be for DC's swimming towels or flannels or damp rags left screwed up in a heap on the floor.

or something else left damp and unaired for a week.

PigletJohn Mon 20-May-13 22:14:11

plumbing leak.

go and look in the loft, also under the bath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now