Talk

Advanced search

Good/bad experiences of 'one coat' paint for walls?

(11 Posts)
lovelylara Mon 20-May-13 08:37:55

We've had a few decorators round to quote for painting our bedroom. Two were happy to use the Dulux one-coat paint I'd bought (tester pot) and quoted for one day's work. The third said the one-coat stuff doesn't look as good and advised two coats of normal paint and quoted for two days' work at almost double the cost.

It would be a cream paint over white walls so I'm not worried about colour coverage, but I've heard that the one-coat paint is much thicker and can look patchy.

Any good/bad experiences of using one-coat paint?

Thanks smile

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Mon 20-May-13 09:07:45

An extra coat of paint on the walls should not take an extra day shock. Unless you have a huge, huge bedroom. It should only take a few hours extra.

My Mum used a one coat paint. (Also cream on white walls). It looks fine but, personally, I wouldn't bother as I wouldbe worried about patchiness.

CreatureRetorts Mon 20-May-13 09:08:45

Silly question but could you get a friend to do it?

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 20-May-13 11:32:13

I've used Crown Solo (a one coat paint) in the past and it hasn't looked at all patchy. It was a pale gold type colour. I wouldn't use the colour again (I don't know what I was thinking actually) but the coverage was fine!

lovelylara Mon 20-May-13 11:53:33

Thanks, all. They would also paint the ceiling, skirting and door so maybe that will take a bit longer. Creature, unfortunately not...unless you are offering? ;)

oscarwilde Mon 20-May-13 12:07:27

You are mostly paying for labour so yes it would be double the cost. Woodwork can take ages to dry for a second coat so prob two days is reasonable.
I thought the One Coat stuff was over rated and expensive and ended up applying two coats for a brilliant white finish over magnolia walls. Have never used colours so can't comment.
Personally, assuming you don't want to do it yourself, I'd take the advice of a professional. Pain in the butt to have to empty your bedroom out twice.
Get them to quote for the job, stating minimum two coats of high quality wipeable paint --learned this the hard way--; base + two coats for woodwork; and all sanding and making good. Then they can work as quickly as they like. grin

specialsubject Mon 20-May-13 12:10:08

don't use One Coat - terrible finish and crazes within a few months.

painting a bedroom, including preparation and all the other bits, can't be done in a day unless you want the crappy DIY show finish.

CreatureRetorts Mon 20-May-13 12:13:42

grin

I don't have time to paint my own house let alone someone elses!

doglover Mon 20-May-13 12:23:43

I think the One Coat does look patchy - false economy in the end.

EarlyInTheMorning Mon 20-May-13 13:22:22

I recently got quoted £675 to paint two bedrooms as apparently it was going to take a week. I was so shocked that I decided to do it myself. Yesterday I painted one of the bedrooms, I gave it two coats and it looks AMAZING. I did the first coat at 10am and the second at 4pm.

So anyway I digress. Dulux One Coat is a pointless false economy.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Mon 20-May-13 13:36:42

Oops, I was getting confused. I was thinking you were only talking about the. Emulsion One Coat. Hence my comment about two coats of paint not taking a whole day extra. blush. An extra coat on the woodwork plus the walls would obviously take a lot longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now