Talk

Advanced search

Does a microwave count as a fixture or fitting? (Moving house)

(28 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Mon 20-May-13 06:15:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 20-May-13 06:18:26

I'd just take it

Ledkr Mon 20-May-13 06:24:01

Normally fixtures and fittings are carefully itemised so just leave it off.
My buyers were such tossers that I ended up taking the lot.

nooka Mon 20-May-13 06:26:50

So long as you are clear on the forms it is up to you as to whether you list it as something you are taking or leaving. It would be a bit odd to take an integrated dishwasher/oven etc, and legitimate I think to make a fuss if the seller removed them (often they are listed in the house details) but otherwise I don't think it's really an issue.

mejon Mon 20-May-13 14:46:44

I'd class it as something like a kettle. Wouldn't dream of leaving one unless it was intergrated. I wouldn't mention it - does it even appear on the tick list you're meant to complete?

mistlethrush Mon 20-May-13 14:52:14

I saw a form recently that listed taps and bathroom fittings (luckily staying) - microwave is definitely something to take with you.

When you say vendors have screwed you over, what do you mean by that - are they taking absolutely everything including the carpets, curtain rails and all the light fittings?

Elizabeth22 Mon 20-May-13 15:40:00

LIZS Mon 20-May-13 15:43:06

If it just slots in then it isn't integrated. Presumably they could buy one with same dimensions and refit it. We left curtain poles because we couldn't be bothered to make good the holes.

ILikeBirds Mon 20-May-13 16:17:40

If it goes into a slot in a tower as an oven would i would count it as integrated

An integrated oven slots into a gap and can easily be replaced with an oven of the same size, ours just plugs into a standard socket so i'm not sure that is a test in itself.

Could it standalone on a worktop, so has proper sides and a back?

MrsMangoBiscuit Mon 20-May-13 16:26:00

Sounds similar to my parents one. It's a stand alone microwave, but it fits neatly into a little cubby in a tower that's there just for microwaves. The microwave just pulls out and unplugs, it isn't integrated, but it does look like is.

I'd take it with you.

wonkylegs Mon 20-May-13 17:55:00

I'd take it, if I had a place for it go and be used. We're taking our integrated dishwasher which some people think is crackers. Our logic is we were clear it wasn't staying from the start, we are leaving the cupboard door bit so they can fit their own and it's a fairly new top of the range Miele which will go in my new kitchen. Our buyers are fine with this.
We are leaving the range and built in fridge because we have no use for them & they are a big part of the kitchen that would be less standard to replace.

breatheslowly Mon 20-May-13 18:12:40

If it is listed on the estate agents particulars then you have to leave it. Or if you listed it on the F&F list as staying, but otherwise not. Obviously they can offer to buy it from you, but you are under no obligation to sell. For example our sellers wanted to take the loft ladder for their new place. We paid the new cost of a loft ladder to avoid having to buy and install a new one. They may want your microwave because it fits in the space, but they should be willing to replace it by paying.

ILikeBirds Mon 20-May-13 18:43:25

This is the sort of design I was thinking of when talking about one that slots in.

Rather than something like this which is just a microwave on a shelf.

I would expect the former to stay but not the latter

nooka Mon 20-May-13 18:55:36

I'd also advise not getting too hung up about it, as you are probably talking a hundred pounds or so compared with the hundred thousands that your house is selling for. It's very easy to get petty when you are feeling screwed over (I know I did when we had to drop our house price significantly right at the end of the sale process), but in the longer run whether or not you take your microwave with you or leave it is really immaterial. It's a fairly cheap second hand appliance after all.

Taking curtain poles seems a very odd thing to do to me - are they particularly special/fancy? Most people tend to leave curtains because they are unlikely to fit a new house, and poles/rails really are fittings in my mind.

Elizabeth22 Wed 22-May-13 09:35:11

SoupDragon Wed 22-May-13 09:40:42

If you take the curtain poles I imagine you should replace them with cheap versions. Same as you would with a light fitting.

IMO the microwave isn't fitted, it simply fits into a slot in the kitchen.

DeafLeopard Wed 22-May-13 09:46:30

Don't part with expensive items if you don't want to.

I think you have a fixtures and fittings list that you tick to say whether it forms part of the sale don't you?

If you have to leave curtain poles, then I would list them on the f&f list and leave cheapy Ikea / Argos ones there for them.

MarshaBrady Wed 22-May-13 09:49:12

Our previous owner left with all curtain parts /poles and removable light fittings. The place was bare.

wonkylegs Wed 22-May-13 09:49:21

There is no requirement to replace curtain poles where there is for light fittings.
I have always made sure bedrooms have something though so they aren't stumped their first night in.
We have left most of our poles including the prohibitively expensive bay ones, however I am taking 2 rather nice long JL ones that were quite expensive (and they no longer make) as they can be resized but they are from the dining room & study so aren't essential ones iykwim.
As long as you are clear as to what you are/aren't taking and it wasn't listed in the particulars you can take all sorts but most of the time it's not worth the hassle verses replacement cost.

LIZS Wed 22-May-13 09:52:06

If they are expensive and you can reuse them then take , if expensive and you are unlikely to need them offer to sell, if a pita to remove or old/cheap leave.

flowery Wed 22-May-13 09:59:56

If it's fitted then leave it.

Our vendors took everything that could physically be removed, as in all curtain poles, all toilet roll holders, all fitted towel rails, everything and left great holes in the wall everywhere, a real mess.

We left to our buyers all our curtain poles and everything fixed to the wall, on the grounds that if it's fixed, by and large it's a fixture and therefore should be left.

Elizabeth22 Wed 22-May-13 10:46:23

ValentineWiggins Wed 22-May-13 10:55:21

Interesting comment here www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/fixtures_and_fittings__what_to_leave_and_what_to_expect.html that there is no legal definition - just common usage.

So I think as long as you have said that it's excluded they can call it a fixture as much as they like but they can't do anything about it! That's why you have a list in the first place - so that they know what is included.

Although given it sounds like they will be obnoxious I would agree to leave a microwave and just swap it for the cheapest nastiest one you can find! Ditto the curtain poles! They sound like our buyers who were vile beyond belief. I find that "losing" the manuals for any things you leave behind helps!

flowery Wed 22-May-13 10:56:28

Bizarrely while our vendors stripped the place bare and left gaping holes, they did leave us a bottle of wine. confused

Would rather have had a toilet roll holder thanks...!

MarshaBrady Wed 22-May-13 11:06:06

Apart from living in a fish bowl for a bit I'm fine that they took the stuff. We would have replaced it anyway and would have been a faff / felt like a waste to get rid of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now