Talk

Advanced search

What to do with front garden....any ideas...

(4 Posts)
LilMissSunshine9 Sun 19-May-13 22:25:01

My front garden consists of a driveway for single, a pathway leading to driveway and the rest is lawn.

I'm considering getting rid of the lawn too much upkeep for me and I don't particularly like it. Whats best

1) putting in some raised beds for flowers and gravel the rest - not pea gravel as there are lots of cats in the area thinking slate chippings or granite chippings

2) block paving with raised beds for flowers

The cost is a slight consideration but looking for your thoughts on what you would prefer...

LilMissSunshine9 Sun 19-May-13 22:25:26

There is a picture of the front of my house on my profile

oscarwilde Mon 20-May-13 12:14:22

What direction does the front of the house face?
Do you want parking for two cars or not bothered?

Your council probably has restrictions about putting a block finish down, that combined with the cost of raised beds [and the hassle of watering the], means I wouldn't bother myself.

Couple of nice big beds with low maintenance drought proof planting like lavender, and gravel would be v pretty.
Have you seen this
www.crocus.co.uk/design-service/

LilMissSunshine9 Mon 20-May-13 21:03:20

Not sure on which way it faces but when the sun is high up there is plenty of sunshine coming through.

I am not bothered about parking for two cars as I have a garage, driveway and then there is parking outside on the pavement too.

I checked with council they said as long as it is permeable for water to soak through it would be ok, I heard there is block paving that allows for this but might be wrong.

My raised beds weren't going to be too high, I was just going to get some Everedge to seperate the soil from gravel, so I guess it is a little bit raised. I don't mind watering flowers its more the lawn.

I have looked on the Crocus page before but not seen that service so its look cheap so will give it a go for a nice design. I was looking to get a garden designer in but cost was too much so figured if I go down the gravel root I could design and do it all myself.

Thanks for your comments they are helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now