Talk

Advanced search

When to start purchasing furniture/fittings etc for a new house?

(5 Posts)
3uper3tressed Sun 19-May-13 16:16:53

Hi All,

We have secured our new house by way of paying a bond to the builder and are part exchanging after our open market sale fell through.

The house is not carpetted, is far larger than our current property and has far more windows...so, I have found the sofa I want, carpets I want and curtains for the key rooms (front of house, bedrooms etc).

We are absolutely committed to the house and 100% WILL be moving into it. My question is when can we start ordering stuff/paying deposits for carpet fitting/curtain making etc without too much risk. I am not sure what could happen now for the purchase to fall through - mortgage is agreed, just waiting for valuation to complete (I can't see this being a problem as there are 4 identical houses, and we think we have paid less than at least one other purchaser)...anyone got any experience/advice please?

PhyllisDoris Sun 19-May-13 16:19:42

Personally, I'd wait until you have the front door key.

specialsubject Sun 19-May-13 17:37:54

if you are in the UK - you WILL be moving in once contracts are exchanged. (or they will have to pay you lots of compensation).

shouldn't be a problem with a new build - but until you have exchange, anything can happen.

HaveToWearHeels Sun 19-May-13 17:51:38

I wouldn't do anything until you exchange contracts TBH

3uper3tressed Sun 19-May-13 17:59:33

Thanks for the advice, suppose I will have the rein it in for a few more weekswink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now