Talk

Advanced search

Have fallen in love with a house!

(16 Posts)
shallweshop Sat 18-May-13 17:40:48

We viewed a house last night and I can't stop thinking about it - it is sooo gorgeous. Problem is that ours isn't even on the market yet and we also need to sort out the finance (we know we can afford it, its just the best way of doing it). I am so worried that we have jumped the gun a bit and we won't be able to buy it. My DH keeps telling me not to get emotional about things but I can't help it - I want it!

I have had 2 valuations done on our house and a third is being done on Monday. My plan is then to pick an Agents and get it marketed asap whilst at the same time talking to the mortgage adviser.

At this stage we have registered a strong interest with the Agent but at what stage do you think we can make an offer - do we have to wait until an offer is made on ours?? Sorry to be naive, its a long time since we moved and then we didn't have to tie in a sale and a purchase at the same time.

Relaxedandhappyperson Sat 18-May-13 17:42:47

You can make an offer any time. But it's unlikely to be accepted until you are in a position to proceed, i.e. have a buyer for yours at the very least.

flow4 Sat 18-May-13 17:44:30

Also, my experience suggests that a vendor is unlikely to accept the first offer they get, so a bit of patience may be a good thing... smile

shallweshop Sat 18-May-13 20:54:48

Thanks. Will try and reign myself in. Might be posting quite a bit more on this ...

PolterGoose Sun 19-May-13 18:05:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lalalonglegs Sun 19-May-13 20:30:13

Id second idea of getting the same agency that is selling yourcdream home to market yours too. It will give them more motivation to push your offer.

shallweshop Sun 19-May-13 20:30:20

Ah, Poltergoose, that's a great story. Unfortunately, it looks like our ideal house has a big flaw. We went for a walk down the little quiet country lane next to it this afternoon only to come across a huge sewage treatment plant!! Think this might be a deal breaker sad.

Erlack Sun 19-May-13 20:37:00

How close is the sewage plant? Can you, er, smell it from the house?

shallweshop Sun 19-May-13 20:43:49

Erlack - no hint of a smell when we viewed or today when we walked by it but am still worried. We are going to go back again a few times this week to check up on the whiff factor. I am also going to ask the Agents about it. It is v close, only a couple of minutes walk away up the lane at the back of the house. I feel quite gutted at the moment as the house is so perfect in every other way.

Erlack Sun 19-May-13 20:53:41

I really want to see this house-if I remember correctly, you were on the fence about selling but now have seen something you really like so it must be good...PM me? I promise I won't buy it, I have just committed to buy my dream house. smile

shallweshop Sun 19-May-13 20:59:10

Yes, that's me! I will try and send you a link.

nipersvest Sun 19-May-13 21:00:35

we used to live near a sewage plant, tbh, we hardly ever smelt it, only really if the wind was in a certain direction. it's smellier where we are now as we're near farmland and the muck spreading is worse than the sewage plant ever was!

shallweshop Sun 19-May-13 21:02:54

Oh nipers, that is good to hear. I sooo want to buy this house and really don't want the sewage farm to be a deal breaker.

shallweshop Sun 19-May-13 21:10:41

Erlack, PM sent. Think you should show me yours now?!

Erlack Sun 19-May-13 21:15:30

Ha! You are so funny. Fair enough, I will send you the link. grin

Sparklegeek Sun 19-May-13 22:49:48

I also did something similar. Spotted house in local paper, drove past, viewed it on my own as DH was abroad working. Our house wasn't on the market at all so quickly got 3 agents round & ended up going with the agent marketing the house for sale. A good decision as I think they really went the extra mile to get their 2 lots of commission. Ours went under offer after 3 weeks on market & we offered on the house we wanted without my DH or DC having even been in it!

And here I am a couple of months later, in our beautiful dream home & I say if you can get over the sewage plant issue then go for it - I remember at the start of the process saying that the stars would really have to align for us to pull it off. But sometimes they do smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now