Talk

Advanced search

Lighting dilemma in the kitchen - pendants and spotlights?

(6 Posts)
Barbabeau Fri 17-May-13 20:45:23

Looking for advice on lighting options for our galley kitchen. We have two pendant lights - Verner Panton Topan - to be installed but they won't throw enough light to cover the whole kitchen.

So I was thinking we could add in another 2-3 LED spotlights to ensure we've got enough light throughout the room.

It's not a particularly big room, about 7 feet at the widest bit, shrinking to about 5 feet at one end and around 15 feet long. It has a big window and a glass serving hatch connected to the dining room.

At some point we're going to remodel the kitchen but that may not be for a couple of years. I suspect we'll keep the main food preparation counter where it is and there would be a pendant above it.

So would the mix of pendants and spotlights work? Or should we get a third pendant? I'm not convinced that will throw enough light, though DH thinks it would.

The electrician doesn't seem keen on the mix of the two but I'm not sure if this is due to the job being more complicated as a result.

Oh and we have to keep these pendant lights as I can't return them and there's not really anywhere else to put them. Plus they match with the new blind in the kitchen (and my Kitchenaid mixer). blush

These are the pendant lights
www.google.co.uk/search?q=panton%20topan%20turquoise&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmg&biw=1267&bih=664&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=p4aWUc7zL9TB4APqnYGADw

Chandelierforagirl Fri 17-May-13 20:47:35

We have both. We have a square kitchen and have spot lights around the edges, so over the surfaces, and two pendants over the table. It's nice to have different kinds of lighting for different occassions.

cece Fri 17-May-13 20:50:20

I have spotlights over main part of my kitchen and then pendants over my breakfast bar. Also under cupboard lights which light the worktop.

Chandelierforagirl Fri 17-May-13 21:20:59

oh yes, we also have under cupboard lights, lots and lots of lights!

Tizwozliz Fri 17-May-13 21:34:32

We have 3 pendant lights (L-shaped room and then spotlights (6 total) over the worksurfaces on separate switches.

I think pendant lights in central postions with spotlights along edges works fine. If you have a galley kitchen though I'm not sure you'd get the spotlights far enough away from the pendants iyswim

Barbabeau Sat 18-May-13 10:36:17

Thanks.

We were wondering about putting the pendants at one end - one over main food prep area and one over the sink. Then spotlights would be down the other end.

Under the cupboard lights aren't an option at the moment due to the layout of the kitchen. That may change when we renovate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now