Talk

Advanced search

Choosing a paint for my kitchen units - F&B or Little Greene?

(12 Posts)
Reastie Fri 17-May-13 18:30:15

Both colours are about the same (F&B white tie vs Little Green Stock 37) and we are having painted wood units which in future years we intend to repaint as required ourselves.

Is there a difference in durability/quality in these paint brands? It costs us the same for both (kitchen shop doing it and have said they will charge the same whatever we choose) so doesn't make any difference to us.

amazonianwoman Fri 17-May-13 21:44:52

Little Greene is oil based eggshell whereas FB is water based. Oil based is much more hard wearing so I'd use LG. I have some woodwork painted in FB eggshell, it isn't durable and wouldn't stand up to heavy duty kitchen use.

staverton Fri 17-May-13 21:46:04

Agree. Lg much better quality.

Reastie Sat 18-May-13 06:04:27

excellent, thanks. Shop usually automatically do lg but said lots of people had a thing about F&B and they were happy to do this also but that exactly answers my question thanks

wendybird77 Sun 19-May-13 12:23:40

Make sure they get the oil based eggshell though. LG also do a water based eggshell and it isn't durable at all! <bitter and repainting all woodwork in entire house>

Reastie Sun 19-May-13 13:14:28

duly noted wendy thanks

greenformica Sun 19-May-13 14:49:36

An interior designer friend tells me that Little green is better quality. She has used a vast amount of paint in the past.

cantdoalgebra Sun 19-May-13 22:36:58

I have never used LG paint so can't comment, but I painted my kitchen cupboards in water based eggshell by F&B nearly two years ago and haven't had any problems - I think the key is in how the surfaces are prepared beforehand.

ggirl Sun 19-May-13 22:43:10

LG definitely ,much better

Mandy21 Sun 19-May-13 22:59:55

Don't use F&B - its not very durable at all. We prepped the doors, gave them a few coats and it just doesn't stand up to spills and knocks. I was forever touching up the paints - now I'm just waiting for a point where I have enough time to take all the doors off and do it again. We only did it 2 years ago.

pettyprudence Mon 20-May-13 07:10:55

I've just spent a fortune on f&b acrylic floor paint - useless! the paint has chipped in a matter of days. i wouldn't chance it on my kitchen units sad

Reastie Mon 20-May-13 07:40:57

definitely going with LG then, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now