Advanced search

Trade of goods act, kitchen companies

(4 Posts)
Hatescolds Fri 17-May-13 13:28:41

We had a new kitchen fitted in feb , we noticed over the last week that the freezer door ( intergral appliance) seemed to be uneven and that the freezer was not sealing properly
I rang the company this morning who told me that if it is a problem with the freezer that I had to contact the manufacturer directly

Is this right? I thought there was something in the trade of goods act that my contract is with the company rather thatn the manufacturers. i have asked them to come out as it looks like the freezer has been fitted incorrectly but if they try and fob me off what is the legal standing? I know with Comet or similar you can insist that they replace item but is it the same with a kitchen company? And what happens if the freezer stops working?

Thanks in advance - I would just like to know I am not sprouting rubbish at them!!

annalouiseh Fri 17-May-13 16:47:22

if there is an issue with the fridge then you go direct to the manufacture regardless who supplies it as there guarantee is with the appliance.
if its not closing as sealing due to the fridge being too far set back in the unit, this would be a fitting issue.
if once the appliance man has come and looked and it is the fridge, they will sort it. If its a fitting issue then you will get billed by the appliance company for a call out charge that you can pass on to the kitchen company to cover and then they should come and amend it.
Ring the company and tell them you will get the appliance man out as they requested.
if the fridge is not at fault and is a fitting issue will they cover the bill and then put right.
always best to ask them 1st, if they so no you might have to fight for the £50-80

wonkylegs Fri 17-May-13 17:30:18

If you bought the appliances through the kitchen company then they were acting as a retailer in which case you should go through them for refund/repair according to you rights under the sale of goods act. See the Which or Citizens Advice Bureau websites for more detailed info on your rights and how to rectify problems

Hatescolds Fri 17-May-13 18:05:06

Thank you for that will look at cab website- I thought that was the case

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: