Talk

Advanced search

paint colour ideas please!

(14 Posts)
DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Wed 15-May-13 19:38:34

Our whole house is currently magnolia walls with white ceilings and woodwork. I actually quite like it, but, the lounge/diner is in real need of being repainted and I was going for a change from the magnolia. I have 8 Dulux tested pot samples currently on the wall and none of them are right! Looking for something still quite light (not white though), - pale beige with pinky tones in it (pink rather than yellow undertones).

We have some lovely new next curtains in 'mink' to put up so needs to go with them.

Its quite a light room but having been used to magnolia for years, I don't want to go too dark at all as I think it would seem really dark in comparison.

Shouldn't be that hard but I just cant find the 'perfect' colour. Any suggestions (colour & brand please). Sorry this is probably the most boring thread in the world but thought it was worth an ask!

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Wed 15-May-13 19:44:17

p.s. we have dark brown leather sofas and oak coloured wooden floors.

Mrsladybirdface Wed 15-May-13 20:09:13

we have the same scheme and are going to go with cornflower white, which is a very light blue grey colour.

TheNoodlesIncident Wed 15-May-13 22:27:07

Have you considered duck-egg? Light and bright without being garish and goes well with all shades of brown imo. Not too dissimilar to Mrsladybirdface's cornflower white but with more depth to the colour.

It does sound from your post that you aren't straying far from magnolia though. Maybe duck egg is a bit too different

Elizabeth22 Thu 16-May-13 10:12:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EarlyInTheMorning Thu 16-May-13 12:27:22

Dulux Soft Stone is beautiful and neutral but I've just disregarded it myself for having too much pink in it. I'm after chalky warm greys myself at the moment. Egyptian Cotton is a very lovely chalky white-ish cream, no pink in it though.

Thisisanoutrage Thu 16-May-13 13:44:37

Dulux just walnut. It's a very light grey with pink undertones.

SvetlanaKirilenko Thu 16-May-13 13:58:35

If you aren't averse to Farrow & Ball, Dimity is a pale beige colour with pinky undertones.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Thu 16-May-13 14:44:06

Thought I'd cracked it this morning with deluxe frayed hessian but sample pot looks totally different to the colour card.

Looking like may have to stick with magnolia at this ratehmm like the idea of blue/duck egg, but its not for us as whole house is neutral/beige/pinky toned.

Farrow & ball colours look nice online but bit too expensive.

Any more suggestions?!

mrsminiverscharlady Thu 16-May-13 14:54:26

I just decorated our kitchen diner in 'putty' by Homebase. I utterly love it smile It's warm but light at the same time and although I think it's got pinkish undertones I think it would be neutral enough to go with most colourschemes. I am just about resisting the urge to redecorate the whole house in it grin

Fast Thu 16-May-13 17:26:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Thu 16-May-13 19:08:21

We've got quite a light room but the natural hessian looks shocking! Going to get to get a tester for homebase putty tomorrow, the frayed hessian is actually growing on me but it just looks a bit pink/cold even though its meant to be a warm shade

ClaudiaCutie Fri 17-May-13 13:31:04

Homebase Pebble Beach is lovely - soft pinkish stone colour, lovely (and also v reasonably priced). I found it via the Kitchen and Bathroom range. We have the Sage in our bathroom and it's excellent-wearing and scrubbable (if that matters to you).

www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=328063

gremlinmum Fri 17-May-13 13:37:37

Having my entire house decorated in dulux natural calico; loads of testers bought and paint colours mixed over the years looking for the perfect colour and this to me is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now