Talk

Advanced search

Virgin Vendor here. ..can anyone help me out with a few things?

(6 Posts)
Ezza1 Tue 14-May-13 17:17:03

I've recently accepted a great offer on my property. How long do you reckon I've got til completion (providing no major hiccups) No chain involved at all. I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but....

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to a selling checklist (or share your own!) - what documents I need to dig out, list of change of address notifications for when the time comes (have made list but just know I've forgotten something crucial), that sort of thing.

When it comes to moving day, do you clean (shock ) the property you are vacating? I know of some who bugger off leaving their grime and others who clean to a sparkling eat off the floor standard (shock confused ) Whats general etiquette?

Sorry for long post. Have other Q's but will make separate thread another time!

Sunnyshores Tue 14-May-13 19:39:17

Congratulations, you must be really excited!

Completion could be done in 4 weeks, with constant nagging of your solicitor, but its more likely to take 8.

Postal redirect, read all meters and inform your outgoing utility companies, may need to give Sky a months notice? cancel house insurance, new house insurance, doctors, dentist,

Havent used these, but looks good:
www.iammoving.com/

As for cleaning the property, I think its good manners to clean to a reasonable standard (easier when all your belongings are removed). But have experienced many degrees of reasonableness and there is no recourse!!

Ezza1 Thu 16-May-13 11:45:53

Thanks Sunny! Very excited but very overwhelmed with it all! Just seems like so much to deal with.

Had forgotten about postal redirect.

Regarding the cleaning, I expect my mum will be helping out with the move - she is of the "could eat your dinner off the floor" variety grin

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 16-May-13 12:03:56

I think eight weeks is quite optimistic, but possible.

Your mum's high standards will make your buyers v happy. It is fantastic to move into a clean house (and surprisingly not as common as you'd think).

My tip is to redirect post for a year and pick up the redirections during that year.

LadyKooKoo Thu 16-May-13 13:19:45

We sold a property earlier this year and it completed in six weeks and one day. He was a cash buyer and we had no chain. It only happened though because I was on the phone to the solicitor and EA daily.

I left the house immaculate but that is just me. Not everyone does that.

Documents I found out were house related things (corgi cert from boiler we fitted and electric cert from rewiring, some letters from Severn Trent when we had a flood which was their fault).

Mail direct will need 7 days notice and as per previous poster, you need to give Sky 30 days notice.

CuddyMum Thu 16-May-13 14:51:05

We've just exchanged in just over a month. Mainly down to the fact that my friend worked at the solicitors. She hand delivered letters to me where there was paperwork to be signed. We signed the paperwork and walked down to post it back through the firm's door. Equally, I was in regular email and phone contact with my solicitor (who was fantastic). The other sides EA was helpful too in terms of communication as was the vendor. In essence, I did everything I could to avoid any delays and replied to any emails/letters immediately.

As for leaving the house clean, this time we have opted for a cleaning service provided by our removals company for a cost of £120.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now