Talk

Advanced search

Boilers/plumbers - what can I do about my suspicions

(7 Posts)
Stangirl Tue 14-May-13 16:09:19

I have an 8 year old boiler that for the last 3 years has been serviced by the same company. This year I knew I had a leak and knew it would need a fix. The company replaced a part to fix the leak, did a power flush through the system and completed the service. 2 days later i had a leak in another place. They returned, fixed the leak for free but then said that due to another problem the pressure was now going sky high when the boiler was on and the only thing to do was buy another boiler.

I am furious and annoyed - it seems so dodgy to me. I have arranged for 2 more - Which Local recommended - plumbers to have a look and provide advice/comparative quotes but what else can I do? I am left with the suspicion that these guys have screwed me over and destroyed my boiler.

Any advice about next steps?

herethereandeverywhere Tue 14-May-13 20:48:06

This might be a bit of a rubbish suggestion but could you call Trading Standards for advice? It does seem dodgy that the boiler decided to give up the ghost after they'd worked it.

napkin Tue 14-May-13 21:42:55

My husband works for British Gas and said to sign up with them would cost £99 for first visit for first fix and he said it is your expansion vessel.

Stangirl Wed 15-May-13 10:50:25

Thanks for the responses. I'll call Trading Standards and I've written to Watchdog.

Unfortunately I've had terrible experiences with BG so feel uncomfortable dealing with them again.

MrsTaraPlumbing Wed 15-May-13 14:36:14

Some boilers do only last 8 years, but most should be good for about 12, especially if properly installed and regularly serviced.
Get a couple more heating installers to look at it.

We usually recommend calling the boiler manufacture to do repairs - the big brand boilers all have excellent teams of their own engineers. The call out charge may seem really high - but when you check the details they really usually work out good value - coveriing all parts & labour until the problem is fixed...

PigletJohn Wed 15-May-13 22:29:46

I agree that it will be your expansion vessel that wants pumping up, or possibly replacing. It is an easy and common fault.

Does this company think that if you buy a new boiler, it will be from them?

Ask around for someone better, get recommendations from friends and neighbours.

It would probably be good value from British Gas.

Stangirl Thu 16-May-13 16:13:42

Right - I got a second and third opinion and went back to the original company full of righteous fury. They have given me a full refund for all works and parts - not accepting liability but for "goodwill" - and I shall spend it on one of the other installers to sort the expansion vessel out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now