Talk

Advanced search

COST - structural engineer?

(5 Posts)
DIddled Mon 13-May-13 21:45:43

Need to have an inspection of our current single storey extension footings- to determine whether they were built to take a second storey (original extension back in 1995). How much do you reckon please? Builder will dig the hole. Original planning was granted for two storey , so we are hoping they phased the build hence footings were deep enough when dug!!

Sushiqueen Tue 14-May-13 06:00:03

We had some work done last year for which we had to use a structural engineer. Our builder recommended one and we were happy to use him as he could explain exactly what was needed.

It wasn't the same job as you need doing but it involved about an hours visit to the house, then a chat with us about the work followed up by a detailed letter and drawings. Cost us £180 inc VAT.

We had the quote beforehand. It was one price if he didn't have to do drawings and then the £180 if he did.

We are in South Lincs.

AliceWChild Tue 14-May-13 08:49:05

Think mine was 240. Not same job exactly but was a structural engineer looking and writing a report.

wonkylegs Tue 14-May-13 09:06:05

I would say that a couple of hundred pounds sounds about right. Which would include an inspection and brief report. I've never used them for something so simple but knowing average rates that would be about right.

DIddled Tue 14-May-13 15:55:33

Thanks - I am starting to break sweat about the rising costs !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now