Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about gate entry systems (Lordy, my life is DULL)

(9 Posts)
bran Mon 13-May-13 20:44:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nocake Mon 13-May-13 21:13:54

If the system just dials a phone number how do you then open the gate? As well as complaining about not being consulted I would be asking about running costs.

Using a cheap PAYG phone sounds like a good option. An alternative would be to buy a landline phone that will use a different ring tone for different numbers. You can then set a ring tone for the gate and a different one for everyone els.

bran Mon 13-May-13 21:38:07

LynetteScavo Mon 13-May-13 21:41:35

Either a landline phone that rings with different tones for different numbers or another landline and handset just for the gate.

bran Mon 13-May-13 21:48:21

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Mon 13-May-13 21:53:31

Can you get caller ID on your landline so you can recognise when the gate is calling you and answer?

We have a gated entry system that comes through to our landline and Ihate it. I can't be on the phone if I'm expecting a delivery, so can't get on with my day as normal, and sometimes the entry doesn't work properly (you hit # to open the gates) so I have to run down and sort it out. Horrid thing.

bran Mon 13-May-13 22:14:59

RustyBear Mon 13-May-13 22:24:02

We have a system like this at the school I work at - when it rings you press the green button to talk to the person at the gate, 0 to open and then red to hang up. We have two handsets and it sometimes has problems if someone opens the gate and then forgets to hang up and the next person to answer uses the other handset - so you might find a problem if someone else hasn't hung up after opening the gate. It's generally pretty reliable, but then it's only been there a few months.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Tue 14-May-13 07:53:25

I have now saved the gate number to my mobile so if it balls up and doesn't open I can ring back from my mobile and get it to answer. We're also furthest from the gate so I feel your pain on that one!

It sounds from your OP that this is going to happen so being able to come up with ways round it is probably for the best. Phones with called ID really are quite cheap, and I expect you'll only need to keep an eye on it when you're expecting people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now