Advanced search

Island cooker hoods

(6 Posts)
WilsonFrickett Sun 12-May-13 20:06:16

Please help! We are extending our house, and knocking together the kitchen/diner to create one big space. We've just ordered our kitchen and will have the hob on an island. The current extractor fan (ducted) will be at the other side of the kitchen, near the oven.

Do we need an extractor over the hob/island?
If we do, is there any point at all in getting a recirculating one, or does it have to be ducted? (I'm not keen on this option as it's low ceilinged so the duct will be obvious, and we still have the existing fan which is ducted)
Are there any cheap, but nice extractor fans out there? I really can't bear to spend more than £500 but for this price all I can see is big, boxy, squares. I love the sexier ones (eg best) but they're £££s.

Sorry for such a long post on such a dull subject but until we decide this one, we can't decide on the lighting plan...

kerryxx Sun 12-May-13 20:10:01

I don't think the builder regulators will sign it off without an extractor over the oven.

You can get those ones that sit in the island and pop up when you want to use it. De Dietrich do one... but it is expensive!

WilsonFrickett Sun 12-May-13 20:13:31

The original extractor will be moved to over the oven kerry so this is simply for the hob. I cannot tell you how much I love the pop-up extractor but John Lewis quoted 3k for one!!!! I'm sure I'd be able to get one more cheaply, but not more cheaply enough iyswim. <sighs>

kerryxx Sun 12-May-13 20:19:51

sorry I meant to say hob not oven!

Yea theyre pretty expensive.... £1300 for the de dietrich just looking. Suppose it's because they're quite modern and unique.

annalouiseh Sun 12-May-13 21:23:04

if your needing it to be signed off you need an extractor to be ducted.
doesnt need to be a cooker hood but they do require this.
you can pick up down drafts for around 1k also you can get ceiling extractors for around the same

twoturtledoves Sun 12-May-13 21:37:07

We have just done exactly the same thing and have got a Falmec ionising looks great - a bit like a pendant light - look up Falmec or 'ionising extractors' and there are plenty to choose from...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: