Talk

Advanced search

a bigger semidetached house or a smaller detached house?

(10 Posts)
April2003 Sun 12-May-13 14:39:00

We need to make a decision on buying a bigger semi-detached house or a smaller detached house.

The semi-datched house has a much bigger refitted kitchen and breakfast room, a bigger third bedroom, and has more characters, than the datched one. Also the semi-datched is 25k more expensive than the detached one.

Can anyone advise on this? Many thanks.

angelopal Sun 12-May-13 15:07:25

Personally I would go for the bigger semi but then I am currently mid terraced and have been fortunate never to have experienced bad neighbours.

How important is the extra space to you?

bishboschone Sun 12-May-13 15:19:14

I have the same dilemma .. We currently live in a 3 bed detached on a great plot , husband wants to move to a 4 bed new build town house semi. I'm torn.. We need more space but I'm scared I will regret it.. It's only 25k more and has 46% more space so really it's a no brainer but still I'm unsure .

50shadesofvomit Sun 12-May-13 15:27:04

It depends on your neighbours so too risky for my liking.

I've lived in a semi with nightmare neighbours and a semi with an elderly lady who was hard of hearing so didn't hear our noise. Strangely the nightmare neighbours had a dog who was super quiet..

LazyMonkeyButler Sun 12-May-13 15:43:25

Hmmm, tricky one! Does the detached have much land? Is there the scope to extend at some point? If so, is it realistic that you will be able to afford to do so in the forseeable future?

If we could manage well enough space wise with the smaller house, I would go for the detached (fortunate to have lovely neighbours now, but were previously not so lucky). However, if you really need the space of the bigger house & cannot extend the detached quickly enough then go for the semi. We are in a terraced house (could never afford even the dingiest detached in the area) and, as I say, have lovely neighbours now so neighbours aren't always a negative thing.

greenformica Sun 12-May-13 20:11:47

links please

greenformica Sun 12-May-13 20:14:07

I'd probably go detached unless I needed more space. We have a huge semi at the mo though and it's just great. Nice neighbors all sides.

What is the potential to extend or loft convert with the detached?

April2003 Sun 12-May-13 23:19:26

Thank you all for the advice on this!

There is the potential to extend in the detached house. We could extend the current kitchen, or garage. There is loft space, but the owner told us the ceiling was low, so can not make it into a proper room (it is a 1950's house). DD doesn't like the small kitchen, and I also think the 3rd bedroom is too small(sinle bed only).

There is not great urgency for space. I am just worried about the stress with extension work, as I have no experience before.

cece Sun 12-May-13 23:36:21

Having had neighbour problems in the past I would always choose the detached, even at the expense of space.

cece Sun 12-May-13 23:37:34

Oh and I've just seen it is a 1950s house. Our current house is the same era. I think it is a very comfortable house to live in. I love our large windows the room sizes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now