Talk

Advanced search

Anyone removed Artex that's likely to have asbestos in it?

(4 Posts)
VickyRenovator Fri 10-May-13 18:34:12

We are attempting to buy a house that need some updating and has a lot of Artex in both the bathroom and the kitchen. It looks like it was done pre 1985 so it's likely to have some asbestos in it. I know that if we leave it untouched its not a danger and we could just skim it, but we really want to remove it. Some of the ceilings it's cracked and you can see plasterboard joins and we really wanted to take someof the walls back to the brickwork.

I've done a bit of a google and found that it's not considered to be a professionals only job any longer, but there seems to be conflicting advice about it. We're at the survey stage so if it really is a case of having to get the professionals in we could ask for a reduction, but I don't know if this is a bit ott.

Anyone been in this situation?

MinimalistMommi Fri 10-May-13 18:36:50

I would pay a professional, that stuff can create a lot of dust, IMO it's just not worth the risk.

AliceWChild Fri 10-May-13 18:57:26

My understanding is the amounts are absolutely tiny, it's not the really bad type of asbestos in there, and it's only if you are systematically exposed its a problem. I'm no expert, just been in a similar position.

greyvix Fri 10-May-13 19:35:12

Get it tested. You may find it's not asbestos at all.
The artex in our house was fine, and was definitely from pre 1985.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now