Talk

Advanced search

Dark Wood or White Venetian Blinds

(12 Posts)
Autumn12 Fri 10-May-13 10:11:48

It looks as though we are going for thick slatted venetian blinds for our tricky bedroom windows. I was going to go for white painted wood with tapes to sort of try and emulate plantation shutters, but DH thinks white is too bland and that we should go for dark wood venetians.

Does anybody have dark wood venetians and if so are they nice or a bit "gloomy"?

Our bedroom is painted Dulux Timesless, has a brown carpet (leftover from previous owners)and our furniture is IKEA Hemnes in Black-Brown. I think dark blinds might be a bit much but DH thinks white ones would be considering the colour of the walls.

Any opinions welcomed as I am suffering from pregnancy brain and cannot make a decsion!

rubyrubyruby Fri 10-May-13 10:37:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Autumn12 Fri 10-May-13 10:46:48

http://sunnydayblinds.co.uk/shop/images/Voile%20Roller%20blind%20innocence%20cream.jpg

Windows are this sort of style. So a window frame directly on the wall with no recess (if that makes sense). There are 2 of them very close together with an 8ft drop each.

We are putting up a big PAX wardrobe which will cover 3/4 of one wall. There's a mirror on the wall opposite the windows and a large print above our bed.

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 10-May-13 10:47:25

I'd have white or cream.
I had natural wooden ones in my living room (Dunelm) and replaced them with cream ones (again from Dunelm) they look so much fresher and nicer. And have lifted the room.

My living room has a brown carpet, mid tone wood and gold walls.

pootlebug Fri 10-May-13 10:48:54

I think dark will be too gloomy. There were some dark wood blinds in our place when we moved in and they do make the room very dark and gloomy.

A number of the online blinds places do various shades of off-white and will normally send samples - would an off-white that toned with the walls work better? Loads here: www.blinds-2go.co.uk/wood_blinds.htm

notso Fri 10-May-13 10:56:05

SIL has blackbrown furniture, brown carpet and dark blinds. I do think her house is gloomy, but they never get the sun at the front of the house and don't really like putting the lights on so that doesn't help!

Autumn12 Fri 10-May-13 10:56:56

I've just put a pic of the windows on my profile. It's not very good and was taken in the evening so makes the room look dark which it's not.

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 10-May-13 14:03:37

Dark ones will show dust more

Autumn12 Fri 10-May-13 15:29:38

That's a good point I hadn't considered.

EarlyInTheMorning Sat 11-May-13 08:02:28

It will drive you I N S A N E

madamecake Sat 11-May-13 08:14:29

We have white ones with tapes in our living room bay window and they look fantastic, get so many compliments on them.

Agree with Early that dark ones show the dust more, we have dark wood ones in the kitchen and within a day of cleaning them they look dirty again. Avoid for this reason alone! I want to replace mine with cream ones after only 6 months.

Pannacotta Sat 11-May-13 08:44:13

White or crea, unless you really love dusting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now