Talk

Advanced search

Making sure you get vacant posession

(9 Posts)
pinksky Fri 10-May-13 09:22:43

We are completing next month and I am a bit worried that the sellers are going to leave things in the property. Is there any way that we can ensure they have cleared the loft/garage/shed etc before we move in? Or is there anything we can do if we find they have left stuff? We've had a problem with this before, and had to delay moving in so we could do a load of runs to the tip. Not ideal...

georgedawes Fri 10-May-13 09:30:01

I had similar concerns as we bought a house with very full outbuildings.

My solicitor wrote it in specifically into the contract that they would be cleared and that we would be given access at exchange to check this had been done. Much easier to force them to do it before completion.

Worked well for us.

pinksky Fri 10-May-13 09:51:42

georgesawes, thanks for explaining what you did. I will ask our solicitor if they can do something similar. We could see if we could get access prior to completion, but I guess they will be moving out on the day.

georgedawes Fri 10-May-13 09:55:45

If you have, say, a week between exchange and completion, it's best to have it written in to the contract that you inspect at exchange. That way there is still time to remedy it if not done, and in all honesty I think the fact we had it specifically written in and access to check made them clear the buildings. I don't think they would have if not.

pinksky Fri 10-May-13 10:04:07

Good suggestion, thank you. Stupidly I'm worried about p*ssing them off, but I can cope if they decide to leave the place filthy, I just don't want to deal with a garage full of stuff.

georgedawes Fri 10-May-13 10:06:00

Seriously don't worry about that. They're meant to clear the property so you're only insisting on what you're entitled to.

We didn't do this for our first property and it cost us a lot of money to have the garden/house/outbuildings cleared. We were determined not to make the same mistake!

pinksky Fri 10-May-13 10:44:12

smile you're right. It's too important so I'll push it. Thank you

flow4 Fri 10-May-13 19:26:55

Bear in mind that local charities, especially hospices, will come and clear a house of anything sale-able, if things have been left behind. smile

Chipsbigbowl Mon 13-May-13 18:42:38

Write in your contract that Completion monies will not be paid until vacant possession provided.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now