Talk

Advanced search

This building regs thing...

(4 Posts)
AliceWChild Fri 10-May-13 08:58:45

When did it start to be a requirement? Keep reading people's concerns re not having building regs. Both houses I've bought have extensions but I've never seen evidence of them meeting any regs, but both are pre mid 80s. Is that why? Or have I had rubbish conveyancing both times?

lalalonglegs Fri 10-May-13 10:24:08

It started in esrly 2000s after a solicitor was sued for not ensuring his client's new home had BC certification. I think this is the case. Basically it has nothing to do with any concerns about a buildings safety or integrity and everything to do with solicitors covering their own backs and an industry in indemnity insurance subsequently emerging...

AliceWChild Fri 10-May-13 11:06:15

Oh I see! Thank you, that makes sense.

xabiuol Fri 10-May-13 11:19:05

One thing I'll say for building regs is...

At least when they exist you know that alterations on a property are structurally sound. Especially in our house-renovation-obsessed age, every other person knocks through from kitchen to lounge or converts their loft.

There's too many bodgers out there to trust that people will do a decent job when making structural changes to their houses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now