Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom tiling

(18 Posts)
Karbea Thu 09-May-13 16:12:50

Hello me again :/

Do you prefer fully tiled or half tiled/half painted/papered walls in bathrooms?

I can't decide (too many decisions!)...

Pro's and Con's for either???...

FishfingersAreOK Thu 09-May-13 19:32:19

Fully tiled is my preference - no paint to go slightly manky due to damp atmosphere.

Paper - no. Will peel.

Have had half tiled/half painted in previous house (done by previous owners) and was fine. Just when we did our bathrooms we tiled all over. Think it is though a personal preference thing though.

Pascha Thu 09-May-13 19:34:16

I prefer half tiled otherwise it feels too hotel-y.

nemno Thu 09-May-13 19:40:44

I prefer (now; in past chose differently) the walls that need it to be fully tiled and those that don't just painted, ie tile walls with shower, close hung loo etc.

JazzAnnNonMouse Thu 09-May-13 19:44:28

I prefer half tiled as then you can more easily change the look.

NeverQuiteSure Thu 09-May-13 19:46:13

Depends on the size of the room.

Large bathrooms look better presented as actual 'rooms' either half tiled or with tiling in just the wet areas

Small bathrooms tend to look better fully tiled, plus are much easier to keep clean and hygienic

I've been looking at lots of bathrooms!

BikeRunSki Thu 09-May-13 20:10:08

Half tiled, fully tiled is too cold and noisy.

BlueSkySunnyDay Thu 09-May-13 20:14:46

Half tiled, half painted - I like to change it regularly so its easy to run a different colour paint round and change curtains so I dont get bored.

If I tiled it all I would love it this year and by next year would be sick of it - expensive mistake. I thought tiling it all was something only old people did.

Mandy21 Thu 09-May-13 21:42:33

I think the look is cleaner when it is completely tiled but we did this is our last house. Large room, 2 big windows, absolutely freezing. Wouldn't fully tile again (unless it was small room).

Deux Thu 09-May-13 23:12:39

I only tile in wet areas because i like being able to change the look of the room with a couple of coats of paint.

If yiu even just half tile, you're stuck with it and it's not a quick and easy job to change.

I only use white tiles eg the rectangular Architecture range from Fired Earth.

Brugmansia Fri 10-May-13 07:15:45

The minimum amount of tiling possible, so just the wet areas.

I hate fully tiled bathrooms, both small and large ones. All those grout lines everywhere make it feel cluttered and messy to me.

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 11:25:00

hate fully tiled, too clinical, much prefer half tiling or wet areas only.

vez123 Fri 10-May-13 13:06:12

Surprised everyone prefers half tiled or hardly tiled at all. We fully tiled our bathroom and I love it. Nice and clean and uncluttered. Hated barely tiled bathrooms in our rented flats previously. Always looked messy. We now have have big white tiles broken up by a pink mosaic border. Dark grey floor tiles, also used as skirting board. Bathroom medium sized, not small.

wonkylegs Fri 10-May-13 14:20:07

Depends on the size of the room but as long as it's not massive. I prefer fully tiled.
I'm about to do a bathroom - fully tiled and shower room - part tiled with paint because that's what suits each room and how we use it. Bathroom gets water everywhere as DS is a messy so & so, shower room is only used by adults so is a little more practical.

fossil971 Fri 10-May-13 16:10:11

Does it matter? Depends on the tiles I would think. I prefer the minimum necessary because I like to use different colours, put pictures on the walls etc. And you can change the look of the room in future ifyou want. We also have some tongue and groove panelling which I guess will make the hygiene people pass out in disgust. But a tiled room can look very good if done well. Look carefully at how you are going to treat window sills, skirting boards etc.

I would think the more tile area you have, the bigger and plainer the tiles should be. You want to avoid this effect grin

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 16:37:53

PMSL that looks like my dads bathroom, only his is blue !

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 16:41:46

We used window film on our back door (which is actually a side door) as the house opposite look directly in to our utility. Looks really nice, picked a deco edge with our house number in it looks really nice.

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 16:47:11

have posted that in completely the wrong thread sorry !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now