Talk

Advanced search

What to put at these windows?

(15 Posts)
Autumn12 Thu 09-May-13 16:00:45

We have huge windows in our bedroom - with an approximate 8ft drop!

Our biggest problem is that we are in a ground floor flat and our bedroom faces the road - so privacy is an issue.

Currently we have voile roller blinds that are excellent as they stop people from seeing in, whilst letting in light and enabling us to see out. However, they become completely useless at night as once the light goes on they become see through from outside. They also don't stop the sunlight from streaming in and waking us up.

I'm really not sure what the best thing to do is. I've considered getting wooden venetian blinds instead but am not sure if they filter out much light? I also know from experience what a pain they are to clean. The window frame is also slightly narower at the top than at the bottom so I'm not sure if that woudl leave a big gap down thw sides of the blinds when closed.

A roman blind or roller blind is out as it would mean every passer by could gawp in as they walk past.

The other option is curtains. BUT the windows are very close together and have radiators right in front of them. This would mean that we would have to have short curtains instead of full length (bit naff?), and there would only be room for 3 curtains to cover 2 windows. We also have the problem that there is furniture very close to the edge of each window which due to space cannot be moved, so the curtains would get in the way each time we needed to open a drawer.

I really don't know what to do!

Karbea Thu 09-May-13 16:11:13

Probably no help, but I don't like short curtains.
I think if you can't have curtains (which would cost a fortune for big windows), I'd probably go for thicker blinds.

Frostyfoxy Thu 09-May-13 16:14:34

Could you put another thicker blind up in front of the voile one? Then just pull the thicker (maybe blackout) blind down at night?

Autumn12 Thu 09-May-13 16:32:30

Karbea - thicker blinds wouldn't work as we'd either have no privacy all day long or the bedroom would have to be in darkness all day. It's a ground floor road facing room.

FrostyFox - There's no room within the window recess to put up another blind. I did consider putting a roman blind up above the window frame that could be pulled down - I wasn't sure whether that would look awful though?

Frostyfoxy Thu 09-May-13 16:39:18

How about putting film on the window to make it opaque and then having the thicker blind for nightime?

Autumn12 Thu 09-May-13 16:39:55

http://sunnydayblinds.co.uk/shop/images/Voile%20Roller%20blind%20innocence%20cream.jpg

Windows are like this and I've only ever seen blinds put up outside a window that is slightly recessed into the wall.

nemno Thu 09-May-13 17:49:13

Luxaflex do a roller blind that can be adjusted to be see through or not, there are 2 types. Silhouette or Facette. They work on 2 different principles. I was very interested in them till I got a quote!

nemno Thu 09-May-13 17:50:16

www.luxaflex.co.uk/products/indoor/facette-shades/

www.luxaflex.co.uk/products/indoor/silhouette-shades/

Autumn12 Fri 10-May-13 10:08:21

I imagine they are hundreds and hundreds?

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 11:19:58

I would put decorative window film on the bottom half of the windows for during the day and roman blinds up for night time.

nemno Fri 10-May-13 15:42:12

HaveToWearHeels makes a good suggestion I reckon. Yes, luxaflex quotes by John Lewis were many times (x3 rings a bell) what made to measure regularJL roller blinds were. And I did/do need 7 outsize ones.

flow4 Fri 10-May-13 19:22:29

I have a rattan screen a bit like this one which I put in front of the window at night. smile

Potterer Fri 10-May-13 20:08:16

We have a bay with french doors and then two windows either side of the french doors then a window to each side to form the square.

Trying to find a window dressing solution was a nightmare as any blinds hanging down would blow in the wind when the doors were open.

We had perfect fit blinds fitted by a local blind shop, for the 2 french doors, and 5 windows (we have another window in the lounge) for them to measure and fit was £620.

Ours are cream to let light through but you can get much darker ones. That way you may be able to leave your voile blinds if you like those and just shut the perfect fit ones at night.

You can buy the perfect fit ones online and fit them yourself. We normal buy made to measure blinds online and fit them ourselves but this was a little too precise!

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 20:50:06

Potterer thanks for the link, these blinds are amazing. We are after just this type of thing for our apartment in Turkey, looks like I will be taking my tape measure next month grin

YoniOno Fri 10-May-13 20:57:58

Ikea do sliding panel blinds which are fab, we have them at our French doors. You can buy the sliding system and choose fabric from anywhere and have it cut to size - we change them occasionally as it's just Velcro so easy to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now