Talk

Advanced search

Where's a nice place to live on the Hampshire/Surrey border but in Hampshire?

(17 Posts)
Summerloading Thu 09-May-13 14:57:38

It's likely that ds (10) will be moving schools to one around Guildford way. If we stay where we are, he will have nearly an hour commute each way, so I'm seriously considering moving.

We need to stay in Hampshire as he has an SEN statement which would need to be renegotiated if we changed counties. I would like somewhere with a bit of character and no more than 30 minutes from Guildford.

So far, I've ogled some houses online in Hartley Wintney. Can anyone recommend anywhere else? Ideally with good shopping centres grin?

Herhonesty Fri 10-May-13 04:00:59

Try yateley, eversley, odiham, hook and fleet. All nice areas but differ significantly in price.

pofacedlemonsucker Fri 10-May-13 04:41:59

Hartley wintney? <blinks>

Hants and surrey are pretty good at swapping statements, fwiw, dd2 had hants statement for infants, and was going to frimley (surrey) for juniors with no bother at all) but I like Guildford itself if you are schooling there anyway.

Frimley is ok. Hartley wintney is where I'm retiring when I'm a millionaire.

I don't like Farnham, fleet etc.

Lifeisontheup Fri 10-May-13 05:54:20

Is he going to school in Farnham by any chance? If so look at Bentley and surrounding villages.

My son is at a SEN school near Farnham and we live in Farnborough which is ok and improving but would rather live in a village.

Will your son get transport to school as part of his statement? Mine doesn't so we are more restricted as to area as has to be within easy reach of rail links.

Summerloading Fri 10-May-13 06:43:23

thanks

So I have a new list to look at:

Yateley
Eversley
Odiham
Hook
Fleet
Bentley
Farnborough

pofacedlemonsucker
DS would be going to an independent SS, so it's possible Surrey might not be so accommodating.

In my ignorance, I had thought Hartley Wintney was quite reasonable blush - I guess I was comparing to prices where I am!

Lifeisontheup
Its in Godalming, and transport will be included as it is standard unless you agree otherwise.

On a recent visit to the school, I spent a few hours in Farnborough shopping centre, and it was a building site!

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will get busy smile

ShoeJunkie Fri 10-May-13 06:56:20

Have you thought of Petersfield or the surrounding villages? Straight up the A3 to Guildford.

mummytime Fri 10-May-13 06:58:58

Well if its Godalming then why not look at the Hampshire places near Haslemere eg. Grayshot or Headley?

Summerloading Fri 10-May-13 07:09:12

Yateley
Eversley
Odiham
Hook
Fleet
Bentley
Farnborough
Petersfield
Grayshot
Headley

Thanks, everyone

pofacedlemonsucker Fri 10-May-13 14:21:54

Farnborough is, um, improving. Allegedly.

Yy, and totally agree, if Godalming, you just need to take a weekend and drive around all the villages and towns - there are some great places and if you have a budget that can cope with HW, then it should be reasonably easy to find somewhere lovely.

Hartley wintney is lovely. grin

Have fun!

CherryEmma Fri 10-May-13 21:37:55

Hi Summerloading, have you tried posting this on Surrey Local site too? http://local.mumsnet.com/Talk/surrey/local-active

CoffeePleaseSir Fri 10-May-13 21:41:04

I agree grayshott is nice and petersfield is lovely to.

LittleMilla Fri 10-May-13 21:44:03

My mum lives in yateley. I wouldn't choose to live there and would always go for eversley or Hartley wintney (sp). Hook and fleet both a little vacant tbh.

I'd deffo consider Bentley and maybe even Alton. There are some reasonable suburbs to Farnham, altho itself it's quite expensive.

Petersfield etc are all quite lovely too.

All depends upon how much you've got to spend grin and how rural you want to be.

Summerloading Sat 11-May-13 08:30:56

thanks

Nothing beats local knowledge smile

My ideal would be:
No more than 30 minutes to Godalming
Has to be Hampshire
A village/town with a reasonably sized supermarket
A good shopping centre/mall within easy reach
House with at least 3 beds and 2 baths
Parking
Love Edwardian period
Not averse to newbuild

Not asking much, am I grin

Thank God for Zoopla and Primelocation!

MacCrackles Sat 11-May-13 18:58:29

I second Grayshott, Petersfield is also nice but more than 30 minutes from Godalming. Have you looked at Liphook? Liss is on the cusp re the 30 minutes. All close enough to Guildford for the shops, especially since the Hindhead tunnel has been built.

Summerloading Sat 11-May-13 19:15:16

Thanks, will investigate smile

landofsoapandglory Sat 11-May-13 19:18:38

Don't forget that the chinooks are based at Odiham, so it can be really, really noisy around there. It didn't bother me, DH worked on them, and we soon got used to it, but you might want to take it into consideration.

It is a lovely area around there, I miss it.

Talkinpeace Sat 11-May-13 21:48:50

liphook

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now