Talk

Advanced search

Water softener....

(11 Posts)
napkin Thu 09-May-13 14:05:44

Anyone had any bad experiences with one? Am thinking about buying one but wondering if there is any problems it can cause.

FishfingersAreOK Thu 09-May-13 22:05:06

Got one, love it. No problems, just luffly soft water!

napkin Thu 09-May-13 22:36:35

Any makes that are the best?

lalalonglegs Fri 10-May-13 08:25:16

My plumber told me that the softening chemicals can cause problems with the inside of the boiler but I'm not sure that's true as no one else has ever said that. Perhaps ask around to be on safe side?

PigletJohn Fri 10-May-13 10:11:50

it's a common belief, especially among older plumbers.

there were some tests carried out by BSI last year and it appears to be untrue. The radiators and boilers should have a corrosion-inhibitor mixerd in the water anyway, and the makers of these chemicals say they work on softened water.

the BSI report into corrosion and softened water

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 11:15:11

I have one on anew build and it is a nightmare, yes I don't have to descale every week, but it has turned my hair green. Apparently new pipes don't like softened water grin(

PigletJohn Fri 10-May-13 11:32:05

I've seen green marks round taps from freshly-cut copper pipes, on both hard and soft water, but not the shock green hair thing.

a manufacturer of hot-water cylinders recommended running hard water through them for a month or two when new.

HaveToWearHeels Fri 10-May-13 12:37:29

I think that is the problem PigletJohn because the pipes are new with no build up inside the green is washed away with the salts, then because my hair is highlighted and therefore porous it grabs the green and tinges the hair.
Funnily enough a friend with same colour hair has resently had the same problem. She has just had new bathrooms fitted and her water softener reinstated, so there must be some truth in it grin

PigletJohn Fri 10-May-13 13:45:35

the softener will have a bypass tap, or you could just stop putting salt in it for a while. I can't remember how long it lasted on mine, I only noticed it on seldom-used taps and WC in the downstairs cloakroom.

you have to keep the basins and loo well-scrubbed so they don't stain.

napkin Fri 10-May-13 13:46:42

Yes my partner says it can cause problems with boilers.

PigletJohn Fri 10-May-13 13:58:33

make him read that BSI report!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now