Talk

Advanced search

Would you think this was weird or useful?

(7 Posts)
Karbea Thu 09-May-13 13:31:04

We are about to have an extension and some remodelling done to our house.
Currently we have a large downstairs bedroom with large ensuite accessed from the hall.
Our currently plans are to split this room in 2 use half as a study (accessed from the hall) and use the 2nd half as a gym accessed from the kitchen, we plan to make the ensuite much smaller, only having a loo, sink and single shower.

Our current kitchen is fairly large with glass double doors to the dining room, and enough space for a large table and sofa.

We'd wanted to keep the ensuite in the gym room as we figured if we ever needed to use this as a guest bedroom for elderly family it would be useful, plus it'll be good to wash the dog, or shower after the gym. I think most people would use the room as a family/play room. I'm thinking maybe people would think this an odd arrangement, so are we best to have double doors or an archway into this room and remove the bathroom altogether?
I'm worried this might mean it would be odd as a gym???

Thoughts?

MadBusLady Thu 09-May-13 14:06:22

Maybe I'm not following this. You've currently got a large en suite guest room, and you're going to have a study and a smaller guest room with a smaller en suite (which you happen to use as a gym), yes? Where does the odd bit come in?

Sounds totally normal to me... Not sure why it wouldn't.

A downstairs shower is really handy and it makes sense to put it off the gym/spare room

MadBusLady Thu 09-May-13 14:17:30

Though I suppose I don't really get the playroom/family room thing, so I don't know why anyone would want a random arched area off the kitchen - that would be odd to me, given that the kitchen is already pretty big. Aren't people just as likely to have the dining room as a playroom?

Karbea Thu 09-May-13 15:30:42

I guess because itll be off of the kitchen. I've been looking at floorplans of new houses and they all seem to have massive kitchens with family rooms off of the kitchen.
I think im just stressing that we've made the right decision with the plans.
I was thinking if I was potty training etc it would be nice to have a loo in the family/play room.
So it's not weird?

DH also thinks it'll be better to have a proper door because either use (gym, bedroom, family room) you'd not want to look at it from the kitchen.

I never thought all this designing stuff would be so hard ;/

FishfingersAreOK Thu 09-May-13 16:18:58

Definately have a proper door....otherwise can you imagine...sitting with you coffee and croissant on a Sunday morning with the background noise of someone groaning and puffing...and a view of red sweaty OH? Set up sounds fine to m aslong as there is a door! Have you got floor plans we can nose at see?

Karbea Thu 09-May-13 17:39:57

I've put a picture of the plans in my pictures but I think it'll be too small to actually see sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now