Talk

Advanced search

Selling houses

(9 Posts)
frenchygirl75 Tue 07-May-13 23:28:03

Is anybody trying to sell their house, really needing to move and can't sell? My friend tells me to lower the price but I can't do that any more otherwise I won't be able to cover the mortgage and be left with a debt!
I know there are some people out there buying houses from people in my situation but I don't know where to find them.

Any ideas?

lalalonglegs Wed 08-May-13 00:02:52

There are companies that buy houses that no one else seems interested in but they won't promise to match your mortgage amount. They usually make derisively low offers.

If you really need to move you may have to suck up getting less than you paid and starting again sad. First maybe ask could there be other reasond why it isn't selling - presentation, poor estate agent etc?

WinkyWinkola Wed 08-May-13 00:08:23

Are you dong everything to make your house attractive? Cleaning it from top to bottom every time they is a viewing? Tidied and smelling nice. No clutter.

Change agents?

Have an open day?

Don't reduce price yet until you have tried all the above.

It's so frustrating, I know. The market is very low.

Crutchlow35 Wed 08-May-13 07:28:36

what websites are you on?

do you have a floor plan?

are you brave enough to show us?

what is the feedback you have been receiving?

WinkyWinkola Wed 08-May-13 09:27:11

Floor plan is very important.

WinkyWinkola Wed 08-May-13 09:27:29

Can you use more than one agent?

Crutchlow35 Wed 08-May-13 13:29:42

But all the tips and tricks in the world won't help if you are in a slower area to sell.

Windingdown Wed 08-May-13 16:57:20

Could you rent the house out? The rent might cover the mortgage whilst you're waiting for the market to pick up?

nocake Wed 08-May-13 18:10:28

Every house will sell if the price is right. There are lots of things you can do to ensure that price is as high as possible but you can only push it up so far. There's a house near us that's been on the market for nearly 2 years. It's beautifully presented but over priced. It was originally listed at 500k, then 450k and now it's 435k.

So, what can you do? Declutter, tidy, clean. Fix all those little DIY jobs such as chipped paint and loose door handles. Tidy outside and put in some plants. Spruce up any tired rooms with a coat of paint. Make sure every room declares its purpose... beds in every bedroom, table in the dining room, sofas in the sitting room etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now