Talk

Advanced search

adapting a pair of ready-made curtains - any tips/links etc

(4 Posts)
happynappies Tue 07-May-13 10:54:57

I've just bought a pair of lined curtains from a charity shop - they are the right colour for my two hall/landing windows, but I've got one pair. The windows are narrow, so I thought 'how difficult would it be to cut them in half?' thus making two pairs of curtains? I've googled and googled, but can't seem to find any tutorials showing how to do this, and now I'm a bit worried it is beyond me?!! I've just washed them, they are out on the line, and I really want to get going with them later on. Anyone know of a good website or link to show me how to do this? Perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms - I just keep getting how to make curtains, rather than how to cut/hem etc and cut the curtain tape at the top, in half and make a neat edge. If this is even possible. Is it possible?

Potterer Tue 07-May-13 19:06:45

How good are your sewing skills? grin

The best video I can find to help you is one which shows you how to join two curtains together so she gets rid of the finished edge if you see what I mean

this here

Firstly you will need to cut the curtain in half, and then unpick the header tape (I am assuming it is pencil pleat, if it is eyelet it is much more difficult) you will need to reduce the lining width and turn over a new side hem on the curtain material.

Have a look at this video to see how "bag" machine made curtains are put together (your lining is shorter in width than the curtain material but you sew both sides together resulting in a curtain with folded over edges.

Shuby an amazing curtain maker

When you have the new finished width you can then turn under the heading tape and sew it to secure it.

If this all seems like too much there must be an alteration service near you. Good luck.

deste Tue 07-May-13 23:07:39

I don't think I would cut them. Put up one curtain on each window and use one tie back. If the window is narrow it will look as if you had done it deliberately. Easy.
Put the tie backs at the same side on each curtain.

happynappies Thu 09-May-13 20:34:58

Thank you for your replies... I am a bit cautious about cutting them now - but will have a good look at those links to see if it is beyond me or not!! Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now