Talk

Advanced search

Sarah Beeny Countertop test......

(7 Posts)
cabbageandbeans Tue 07-May-13 10:15:57

Aparentley Sarah Beeny did a show which somehow sandwiched 'Grand Designs' Last week I think. My husband and a good friend both watched the first part where she puts red wine and other things on countertop to test which countertop stains. I am dying to know what the results are! But can't find the show on 4oD. BOth my hubby and Friend missed the end!!! Anyone know what it was called or when it was on so I can catch it?!!!

Sushiqueen Tue 07-May-13 13:15:12

Was it Sarah Beeny Selling Houses? That has been on recently.

wonkylegs Tue 07-May-13 13:32:17

I saw it and thought that it was a bit rubbish. She concluded that the treated wood did best even though on camera the acrylic stone seemed to fair the same. (both had very faint marks and both can be refinished)
Concluded that the granite did worst but I think it would depend on the granite. We have a mottled brown granite worktop which has been in for almost 10yrs. I am not big on house keeping and we have only one mark on it, which you can only see if trying hard. Lemon juice cup ring dulled the surface in one area but you really have to look to find it. Otherwise it's pristine despite having just about everything dropped, spilt, left on it Inc red wine, oil, soy sauce etc.
Black shiny granite might not be as good but our brown stuff is fab.
I also know from experience with work that darker acrylic stone worktops don't really stain unlike the lighter ones.

cabbageandbeans Thu 09-May-13 23:48:39

Acrylic stone - is that like maia or corian? Someone on here did a test with a ton of stuff and it came out very well. I have the same granite as you (in my bathroom) wonky and I agree. but I have quartz (white!!) in my new kitchen and I was wondering how it faired. So fair I am a little disappointed as it does seem to stain and had no idea!!!

wonkylegs Fri 10-May-13 07:25:00

Yes Acrylic stone is the generic name for Corian/HiMacs etc
I believe that the lighter colours of any of these products inc quartz will stain to some extent unfortunately.

Jaynebxl Fri 10-May-13 07:32:24

I saw it too. Think it was only like a little 5 min thing. And I agree with Wonky, the conclusions she came to made me wonder if she needed glasses.

I have light quartz. After 8 years lots of things have stained temporarily (food dye, turmeric, wet wood, rust - I am, as you can tell, a Domestic Goddess) but they've all faded away with a little bit of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now