Advanced search

Cant decide which type of survey!

(7 Posts)
Ponyofdoom Mon 06-May-13 10:56:49

I have read up quite a bit about it and sought advice which is conflicting! What type of survey (home buyers or full structural) would you have on a 1993, 2400 sq foot rural house built of apparently standard construction and not on clay? I am risk averse but don't want to waste money for no reason. Thanks!

gindrinker Mon 06-May-13 16:56:43

We had a home buyers on our Victorian terrace.
Theory being Victorian terraces don't fall down and if anything dodgy was brought up we'd have a specialist look at it.

Is there any reason to worry about the house? Anything you noticed?

wonkylegs Mon 06-May-13 17:54:07

Personally wouldn't bother with a full structural survey unless it was an unusual house type, particularly old (pre Victorian), had specific issues (eg visible cracks/sag to the roof) or was in circumstances where there was some other concern (very close trees, known problem area for subsidence, had flooded) or you want to do specific work like extension/ conversion etc and need to know the suitability of what you've got.
I am a bit blasé about it though as I am an architect and know what would ring alarm bells and require further investigation. If you have concerns then get the more detailed ones but if fairly confident then go for the homebuyers.

doglover Mon 06-May-13 18:27:29

Can you opt for a Homebuyers Survey and ask the surveyor to concentrate on any specifics that may be of concern? We need to start thinking about this issue and have wondered the same thing. Part of our prospective house has a flat roof and several rather botched DIY areas: would a Homebuyers survey be sufficient to check these things out?

Ponyofdoom Mon 06-May-13 18:28:51

Thanks for the replies. I didn't notice anything dodgy but I didn't have a thorough poke around and I am not knowledgeable anyway. I guess my main concerns would be flooding, subsidence or legal issues (would a home buyers report pick those up?). It was not in a flood zone according to the EA website. I guess as you say a home buyers report would flag up a possible issue and further investigation could be carried out.. thanks

Springforward Mon 06-May-13 18:34:17

I would probably go with a homebuyer's report for a 90s house. As I understand it any major problems should be highlighted and you can decide on further surveys then as necessary.

I've owned 3 80s houses and taken this line so I hope it's enough, anyway!

Ponyofdoom Mon 06-May-13 23:03:14

Thanks I think I will do this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: