Talk

Advanced search

Sash window repair/replacement (London).

(6 Posts)
Bearcrumble Sat 04-May-13 10:57:12

Hi - just wondering if anyone had any advice on this.

We have a Victorian house in a conservation area (so need to keep the sash windows - would want to anyway). They are knackered. Loads of gaps.

We have had subsidence but the insurance doesn't cover the windows as they count as historic damage. Our insurance company is about to get the work done on the rest of the house and were thinking it would be a good time to have the windows done as well.

Could you recommend a good company to do the work? (SE London). Also any idea how much five windows would cost? Thanks in advance.

jkklpu Sat 04-May-13 21:31:37

Our house is also Victorian in SE London. We used the Sash Window Workshop for about 5 windows over a 7-year period. The first time they came, they measured up all the windows we knew we wanted to have restored/replaced and we asked them to do the each one when we could afford it. They weren't cheap but really good consultants, customer service and craftsmanship and we've never regretted it.

jkklpu Sat 04-May-13 21:31:57

PS They were even able to approximate a coloured pattern in one of the originals.

Karbea Sat 04-May-13 22:24:27

I used to have a Victorian house and also used the sash window workshop, they made new sashes for us, and refurb end two that had been painted shut and had the cables removed. I was very happy with what they did.

SteveCarter Sun 05-May-13 10:58:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lovemyscarf Fri 10-May-13 12:07:26

I'm not much help myself, but I can point you in the direction of my husband's company here Hope that helps your search!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now