Talk

Advanced search

Water meter - do we want one??

(9 Posts)
hellohellohihi Wed 01-May-13 12:44:05

What's the general consensus on water meters??

We're moving at the weekend and I'm just sorting out our utilities and wondered if it's worth asking for a meter?

MirandaWest Wed 01-May-13 12:54:02

How many people in your family and how many bedrooms?

hellohellohihi Wed 01-May-13 13:25:59

4 beds, 5 receptions, 1.5 bathrooms.

Me, DH andn 16mo DD.

notcitrus Wed 01-May-13 13:29:32

I didn't think you could opt out any more?
If you like baths, have a mucky child or wash nappies, and may do lots of plumbing or may have a leak, avoid a meter.

MirandaWest Wed 01-May-13 13:33:23

I'd imagine a water meter would save you money.

hellohellohihi Wed 01-May-13 13:37:35

Hmm, DD has a bath every night, but OH and I tend to just shower.

Washing machine goes on once a day on average, but we use disposable nappies so no extra nappy washing.

Tend to use a dishwasher over washing up.

Not sure about leaks as we've not moved in yet.

Clearlymisunderstood Wed 01-May-13 14:01:07

Do you know how much your bill would be for the new house without a meter? In our old house we paid £35 a month on a metre (me, oh and 21 month dd) similar to you in that washing machine was once a day and mainly showered. New house is £43 per month un metered, we're ttc soon so aren't going to ask for a metre as it'd probably end up costing us more

specialsubject Wed 01-May-13 14:12:55

firstly, see if you have a choice; some authorities (not all) put in a meter when a house is sold.

a full dishwasher uses less water and energy than washing up. A power shower of more than 10 minutes (which is way too long anyway) uses more water than a bath.

if you do have a choice - in your situation you should save money if you are in the south of the country where 'water rates' are much higher. Doesn't work for all areas. You may also be able to try a meter for a year and go back to un-metred if the bills come out too high.

BadRoly Wed 01-May-13 14:17:32

We are in SW so most expensive water rates in the country. The are 6 of us. We are not especially careful with water but don't water the garden/wash the car etc. We are on a meter.

My mum was asking what we pay as she is thinking of going onto a meter. We currently pay similar to her Yorkshire water non metered annual rate! She lives alone and also does not water the garden/wash the car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now