Talk

Advanced search

Dulux paint colours - help!

(17 Posts)
kezlou2 Mon 29-Apr-13 14:45:05

Help!! We are currently building a house and now need to choose our paint colours which is a nightmare. I've bought 34 testers but it's so difficult to choose when we are not even living there yet

I've been looking at all the threads on here and the most popular colours seem to be Egyptian Cotton, Natural Calico and Natural Hessian so I've been thinking of using these in different places.
NH in living room, NC in hallway and bedrooms.

We have a large open plan kitchen diner (6m x 10.5m approx) with a vaulted ceiling. I was going to put natural calico in there but it is a really light room so I think we could get away with something different. I was then thinking Egyptian Cotton.

Our kitchen will be walnut and farrow and ball pointing. Most of the wall cupboards are in pointing with the island and some of the floor cupboards in walnut.

Any ideas what colours would go with this?! I thought the Natural calico won't really give a big enough contrast to the pointing cupboards. Is Egyptian cotton too grey for the walnut?

Would appreciate Dulux colours as this is what the decorator will be using.

Thanks! x

justaweeone Tue 30-Apr-13 07:11:25

Have you looked at the Dulux Heritage colours at all?

sarahandemily Tue 30-Apr-13 07:27:42

We did the same thing and I found it really difficult to choose. We used a lot of Egyptian cotton and it is a lovely colour, looks fab in our hall and spare room. However our kitchen diner is really light and in there it just looks off white. This is fine as we have paired it with an olive green (oak cupboards and white work tops) and it looks fab - it's my favourite colour combo in the whole house. So in a light room I think you will need something else as well. Good luck

outtolunchagain Tue 30-Apr-13 07:43:20

We have a large south west facing kitchen breakfast room. The cupboards are a mixture of oak and Salisbury Stone 4 , the walls are Salisbury Stone6 ( think those are the right numbers) . The sitting room which faces the same way but can get a bit darker is natural calico and the hall stairs and landing is Welsh Slate which I live and an so pleased with

outtolunchagain Tue 30-Apr-13 07:45:05

Sorry meant to say that I love it

kezlou2 Tue 30-Apr-13 14:40:10

Sarahandemily, have you put the olive green on the wall? I've looked at overtly olive but I'm worried it would look too dark! When you say it just looks an off white, do you mean it doesn't look exciting enough for a large room?

I will have a look at the Salisbury stone colours, thanks outtolunchagain. Welsh slate, what brand is that? I can't seem to find it.

I'm wanting to use green as the colour to bring in on the blinds and sofas so I'm unsure as to whether this goes with the Egyptian cotton but if you have olive green with it then it must do!

I had a quick look at the Dulux Heritage colours but I will have another look

I'm trying to narrow the colours down though rather than investigate more as I'm getting swmaped. At least paint colour you can easily change!

ColourConsultantDulux Tue 30-Apr-13 15:51:04

Hi there kezlou2.

I'm one of the Colour Consultants here at Dulux, thanks for your question.

Picking the perfect colour is a tricky decision, and you want to make sure it?s the right one! For your kitchen, I would suggest Chalky Downs 4, which is a wonderfully calm neutral. You then can layer up with a darker shade like Chalky Downs 3 on a selected wall to add interest and help zone the room. By choosing a neutral, it?s easy to add pops of colour to your kitchen through accessories.

If you fancy a touch of colour, which considering your space is large it might be a good idea. Try Gooseberry Fool 5 as your backdrop colour, and team with Gooseberry Fool 2 as a feature wall colour. This calming mossy shade is the perfect kitchen colour and these green shades look fantastic with walnut too, so it will really tie the room together.

I would also recommend you get your paint mixed in Kitchen+, with its grease proof formulate with stand up to the demands of everyday kitchen life.

Please let us know how you get on! We offer a live Colour Consultancy service every Friday on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/dulux between 10am-1pm, so please join us and get back in touch if you need help with the rest of your home.

Hope that's useful. Thanks!

ColourConsultantDulux Tue 30-Apr-13 15:53:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrspaddy Tue 30-Apr-13 15:57:06

Hi there, we recently painted our bedroom in Mulberry Silk - a new colour and I have to say it is lovely. Subtle. It is lightish grey but not a cold grey. I previously had the room white but it got dull and boring after a while though I am not into yellow-cream shades.
There seems to be a different warmer hue to Mulberry Silk.
We put white bedlinen and a grey Avoca throw on the end of the bed and I really love it. Fresh and clean looking. HTH

outtolunchagain Tue 30-Apr-13 16:09:58

Welsh slate is dulux too , will look at the code when I get home

Very impressed with dulux colour advice! Any ideas for outdoor colours on a redbrick village house about 30 years old but quite traditional style . Currently all the paintwork is white but I would quite like to soften it a bit

kezlou2 Tue 30-Apr-13 16:39:55

outtolunchagain... our house is built in a farmhouse style. It is red brick too and we have put Gardenia on our sash windows and doors. It looks a lot softer than a white. We're really happy with it.

betterwhenthesunshines Tue 30-Apr-13 18:16:04

I like what the Dulux consultant said.

Gooseberry Fool is a lovely colour to life with.

I've just painted a bathroom and adjoining bedroom in The Salisbury Stone range ( I think 4, 5, & 6) and it does look quite green. The darker shades are nice, but the paler ones look a bit cool/ yellow. Chalky Downs was another palatte I looked at.

On your original thread I would take care mixing Pointing with Eqyptian Cotton - my parents have Pointing and it looks quite yellow to me - I'm not sure it would mix with Eqgyptian Cotton which we have in a guest bedroom which lloks quite neutral / grey....

kezlou2 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:10:49

Thanks for the advice on mixing Egyptian cotton with pointing. We will take that on board. We are asking the decorator to bring samples of the paints the consultant advised.

Is natural calico light enough for the attic rooms or would the light and space colours be better?

MyPreciousRing Tue 30-Apr-13 21:14:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarahandemily Tue 30-Apr-13 21:43:11

Hi sorry didn't get back to you before. Yes that's exactly what I meant about the Egyptian cotton. It must be the light in the room as it stands out nicely in the hall and spare bedroom but in the kitchen its nothing special and would be disappointed if we didn't have the green too. I think it is overtly olive we used and it was supposed to be just a feature wall but because of mix up with decorator it's on most but not all of the walls. I was a bit worried about it being too dark but it looks fab. The room is really light and spacious (vaulted ceiling with skylights and big patio doors) but that sounds like yours

Confuseddd Tue 30-Apr-13 21:45:36

Another vote for Chalky Downs here

kezlou2 Wed 01-May-13 09:05:23

Thanks everybody, you've all been a great help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: