Talk

Advanced search

stripping really dark wood stain off pine?

(12 Posts)
MsIngaFewmarbles Sun 28-Apr-13 10:50:07

Sorry very dull I know.

DH has a table and chairs which his parents gave him 15 years ago, it's got a really dark stain which I want to get rid of and have a natural pine colour on the table top and paint the underneath and chairs white. Is this doable? We can't afford to replace it and DH doesn't want to get rid of it anyway so my only option is to remove the horrid dark colour.

CuddyMum Sun 28-Apr-13 11:07:17

Paint the whole thing with Annie Sloan.

MrsApplepants Sun 28-Apr-13 11:08:33

Agree with cuddy, paint it all with Annie Sloan. Brilliant stuff!

MsIngaFewmarbles Sun 28-Apr-13 11:16:55

Annie Sloan? Will google

MsIngaFewmarbles Sun 28-Apr-13 11:19:24

I definitely want the table top natural not painted.

didireallysaythat Sun 28-Apr-13 11:24:02

Maybe you could get the top dipped and stripped - does it come off the legs ? It would a lot like a door then so doable (don't know how much it costs though).

MsIngaFewmarbles Sun 28-Apr-13 17:22:06

It does come off the legs. I'll check out the cost of that.

preggersbycheggers Sun 28-Apr-13 19:51:50

We have just used craftsman nitromors (yellow tub). Very good and might be suitable for your job.

didireallysaythat Sun 28-Apr-13 20:09:47

Ah. Is it wood stain or varnish ? Not sure you can dip and strip stain... But I could be wrong...

MsIngaFewmarbles Sun 28-Apr-13 20:16:39

Not sure if it is stain or varnish. It is worth giving the underneath a gentle rub with sandpaper to see how easily it comes off?

MsIngaFewmarbles Thu 09-May-13 21:10:38

Oh well, after 3 days I have sanded one chair so there is no varnish on it. 5 more chairs, table and dresser to go. Sod that, I am buying annie sloan before I have a nervous breakdown sad

MsIngaFewmarbles Thu 09-May-13 21:12:19

Do you think Paris Grey on chairs and underside of table and a natural, waxed table top would look nice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now