Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen installation - how does it all work? What order and all one company or separate e.g. electrician, flooring person, decorator?

(6 Posts)
deeplydullmnnickname Sat 27-Apr-13 19:47:33

I think I've decided on my supplier for a hand built wooden shaker kitchen, and prefer the idea of them doing the installation so that the makers can't blame the installers or vice versa if there's a problem. This might cost slightly more I suppose but not hugely based on the quote they've given.

I would though then need to bring in an electrician, plasterer and people to install appliances. Will it be chaotic if I do it all separately and take ages if there are delays in between when say the units are installed. What order is work like this normally done in e.g. plastering/ lighting/ units/ decorating/ flooring??

Bakingtins Sat 27-Apr-13 19:54:35

We've just had a new kitchen - units supplied by Magnet and everything else organised by a local builder/carpenter who brought in various tradesmen to do the different jobs. We used him based on recommendation from a friend that he was v reliable, turned up when he said he would and was a perfectionist. That way anyone else failing to turn up etc was his problem (the plasterer was in hospital with pneumonia and he had to find another at short notice, not us) also he used people he worked with a lot so hopefully having found one trustworthy tradesman he would use others.
Ours was a big building project, knocking through 2 rooms, so first is to get the 'shell' right - electrics + water in the right places, lighting sockets, sub floor level (involved replacing some joists and boards, then hardboard) walls plastered and dry. Then fit of units and appliances. Then tiling. Then flooring.
We're still waiting on the decorating which we'll do seperately. If you were doing it yourself it might be easier to paint whilst you have an empty shell.

deeplydullmnnickname Sat 27-Apr-13 20:07:03

Thanks as that's useful info.

We haven't got that much if any proper building work involved - only fitting new spotlights, a new door so I'm concerned no builder will take it on. I've already spoken to two who wouldn't do the project even when we thought we had slightly more building work plus installation as it's too small and they're more interested in loft conversions and big extensions sad.

Maybe I could try a smaller, one man band builder who can bring people in?

I'm worried it will be hard to find people and co-ordinate them all if they're all separate workmen. Argh!

AnnoyingOrange Sat 27-Apr-13 20:11:36

We had ours done by a kitchen fitting company. They arranged for a tiler to come in and did the gas and electrics themselves

deeplydullmnnickname Sat 27-Apr-13 20:14:28

I am a complete beginner with all this. So by a kitchen installation company, do they project manage everything but not actually provide the units? That would be perfect as I want the units from a particular company.

deeplydullmnnickname Sun 28-Apr-13 08:56:15

Any more advice would be welcome. Thanks so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now