Talk

Advanced search

How easily can you move fitted kitchen cupboards?

(6 Posts)
Toptack Sat 27-Apr-13 09:00:00

We're looking at house that has a brand new fitted kitchen, but it doesn't have room for a kitchen table. I would like to remove some cupboards altogether and move some full length pantry units to a different wall to create space - is that feasible? Last time I took a kitchen out the carcasses more or less crumbled, but it was old, cheap and tatty. Would get a professional in to do the work!

Tizwozliz Sat 27-Apr-13 09:39:34

Have you looked inside any of these cupboards to check they're not hiding anything? Our full height pantry houses gas pipes, water meter, water pipes etc.

BrienneOfTarth Sat 27-Apr-13 09:50:45

I'd like to know too - planning to re-jig my whole kitchen when I get around to it.

Toptack Sat 27-Apr-13 09:50:57

Yep, looked inside them, because there were so many I couldn't quite believe it, but all 8 contain sliding food storage!

PigletJohn Sat 27-Apr-13 10:10:36

easy. they're only boxes made of chipboard. They are probably screwed to each other, to the wall, and to the worktop, to prevent them wobbling. Find and undo these screws, then wind down the plastic legs (they are telescopic, and screw up or down). The unit will then sink down and you can pull it out. If it doesn't sink or won't pull, then you have missed one or more of the fixing screws.

flow4 Sat 27-Apr-13 10:22:05

... Unless it's a basement kitchen, in which case you should consider how it might be lined/damp-proofed. My kitchen is under-ground at the back, and half underground at the front, and has been fully lined with a plastic membrane. You can screw through this to attach things to the walls, but you need to use special fixings that prevent damp then penetrating through the hole you've made.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now