Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used mosaic tiles on a net backing?

(10 Posts)

Not sure how to stick them up for a splashback behind the basin in the bathroom. The sheet of tiles seem so heavy - won't they just fall down when I press them into the adhesive?

cakebar Fri 26-Apr-13 21:39:01

DH just says 'no, they won't'. When I asked him to elaborate he looked at me like I was stupid confused

I can confirm the ones on our wall went up and are still there though.

FromGirders Fri 26-Apr-13 21:43:32

No, they don't.
Buy a good quality adhesive / grout, put it on the wall and press the tiles into it. Works just fine.

PastaBeeandCheese Fri 26-Apr-13 22:03:11

They will stay up! You will need a spacer between each little tile though.

notcitrus Fri 26-Apr-13 22:07:48

You don't need spacers - the net holds them apart.
But do grout with your finger between them all, rather than smearing grout over the lot and hoping it comes off the tiles - most mosaics have ridges and grooves and some of the grout never comes off...

mirry2 Fri 26-Apr-13 22:09:45

I've used them. They look fab and are easy to stick up (and they WILL stay up)

PastaBeeandCheese Fri 26-Apr-13 22:25:18

I have definitely needed spacers when I have used them as they were quite heavy leading to the rows higher up exerting pressure on the rows lower down. I could see them starting to slip and the spacers kept them in place.

Maybe see how you get on re use of spacers.

chickabilla Sat 27-Apr-13 10:55:06

We had them in our kitchen and they were fine; easy to put up, didn't fall down but we did use spacers.

flow4 Sat 27-Apr-13 12:37:32

Yes. They were easy to put up, they didn't slip and I didn't use spacers between the little tiles either. I agree with what citrus says about grouting though... They were much trickier to grout, and since they were 'natural stone', some of the grout got stuck in the tiny cracks and crevices on the surface of the tiles. I wiped these continuously as I went along, but it was harder work removing traces of grout from the surface than it was putting the actual tiles up. hmm

OK - I shall try it next week on my afternoon off. I had it all cut out and laid out on the bathroom floor but didn't believe that they would stay on the wall.Thank you all (and DH's).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now