Talk

Advanced search

So when do you start to believe you're moving?

(15 Posts)
FedupofTurkey Fri 26-Apr-13 14:14:15

Its fallen through before sad so won't believe it till we exchange contracts!

However I know there is stuff I need to do before then. Apart from pack, what though??

specialsubject Fri 26-Apr-13 14:34:49

get quotes to insure the new house and have a policy chosen and ready to go, so you can start it on the day of exchange.

get removal company quotes, choose one, make a provisional booking - removal companies are used to the whole scenario of uncertainty in this.

massive declutter.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 26-Apr-13 20:23:00

I don't believe we're moving either! Exchange of contracts not even in sight yet. sad

Notyetthere Fri 26-Apr-13 22:06:18

Everybody says after exchange. That's when we plan to give LL notice.

however, FIL brought boxes with him last weekend and I could not help myself! We don't know exchange date yet either but I have started to packed stuff that we are not using. I have packed about 15 boxes but now I'm pushing it with what to pack. I believe we shall need the rest of our things between now and moving, including the cupcake baking tray.

SquinkiesRule Fri 26-Apr-13 22:10:50

I've been packing boxes and had a removals quote, still doesn't feel real as we have no firm date.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 26-Apr-13 22:18:00

Declutter.

I'm really bad at this.

If you have stuff in cupboards/ loft/ sheds you've never used? get shot now.

If it falls through you'll be able to look even clearer, if it proceeds its less to pack/ unpack.

Some stuff can be packed/ boxed and labeled like winter clothes and coats.

Create pinterst boards to distract you from the frustration and plan for your new place.

specialsubject Fri 26-Apr-13 22:26:18

definitely don't give your landlord notice until exchange - but it would be courteous to tell him informally what is in the wind if he doesn't know.

and some initial packing doesn't hurt assuming that you are going to move at some point.

Notyetthere Sat 27-Apr-13 10:33:10

I will only verbally tell LL about our move after exchange as I worry if it all falls through, they might have already found another tenant and we could be homeless. Or even if they let us stay, might still give us s21 bse of the uncertainty of their investment.

We shall give them the 1 month notice and we'll the place clean, etc. They are selling this flat; it's been on the market since Oct 12 and while we have kept it tidy and clean for viewings they have had no offers. I have feeling bse it is still tenanted so they might even sell quicker after we leave.

Gone off topic a bit but I have read about disaster stories where notice was given and it all went wrong.

soverylucky Sat 27-Apr-13 11:41:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FedupofTurkey Sat 27-Apr-13 13:05:09

I have no notice to give as have sold my house. But stuff like utility companies - elec, gas, tel, do you need to give much notice?

specialsubject Sat 27-Apr-13 15:27:03

exchange and complete on the same day just makes life difficult. No reason to do that.

sounds like it will be mutually beneficial for the OP to move, and as it is unlikely that the landlord will be getting another tenant there's no benefit in telling him.

utilities don't need much notice EXCEPT BT who take bloody ages.

soverylucky Sat 27-Apr-13 18:05:49

specialsubject Sat 27-Apr-13 19:06:16

not as far as I know - haven't been in this position but struggling to see how it would work. Wouldn't you need a loan for the deposit?

once contracts are exchanged everyone is committed, or loses their deposit plus a lot of costs. The two can be done on the same day BUT it would be a lot of hassle - for instance, you have removals provisionally booked, phone line contract to change etc etc but nothing can be confirmed until exchange.

I found the whole process enough hassle without that!

soverylucky Sat 27-Apr-13 20:25:19

Jaynebxl Sat 27-Apr-13 23:20:21

I thought it was advisable to have about two weeks between exchange and completion and that you could still use the deposit from your sale to pay the deposit on your purchase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now