Talk

Advanced search

What might happen?

(13 Posts)
Wishiwasanheiress Fri 26-Apr-13 09:13:12

Dh is caught up in a bosses changes. It's likely redundancy is on cards. We are both stoic but terrified. We are renting, looking to purchase. Without a job that's impossible... Anyway, would we be kicked out of rental if he did lose his job? I mean as long as bills get paid somehow does it matter? Dh seems to think it does but I don't know. Is anyone more knowledgeable please?

Feel bit naive at mo about property. Not having much luck recently in this area....

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 26-Apr-13 09:15:58

There would be redundancy payment and obvs he would look for work as could I by altering sahm status etc... Would landlords take all that into consideration? Never had issues with payments and rel is ok with landlord (we think!)

porpentine Fri 26-Apr-13 09:27:19

I am not an expert (although I am an accidental landlord) but I can't see that it's any business of your landlord's, if you continue to pay the rent - I mean, how would he know anyway?

Tizwozliz Fri 26-Apr-13 09:41:46

In an existing rental v. unlikely to have any impact. It may be different if you were looking to take on a new tenancy but existing tenancy would be fine.

Crutchlow35 Fri 26-Apr-13 12:30:28

you do need to tell the ll for him to make an informed decision. many motgage lenders and insurance firms do not allow benefit claimants. i hope the redundancy is short and a new job is found quickly but even paying all of the bills and on time you still neee to let on. if there was an accident or problem with the building the insurance may become void

Crutchlow35 Fri 26-Apr-13 12:31:28

sorry that is assuming benefits like jsa etc will need to be claimed. if no claim then i think you will be ok. good luck.

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 26-Apr-13 13:18:11

Great! So maybe not as scary as first thought.... Will let dh know, power of mn! smile

Have a look at what your rental contract says. In your shoes, I woukdn't be telling the LL unless absolutely necessary, in case he/she panics and gives you notice, finding a new place will be harder on benefits.

Have you worked out how many months' bills the redundancy will cover?

specialsubject Fri 26-Apr-13 14:38:09

if you don't need to claim benefits your landlord doesn't need to know - as long as you can keep paying the rent. If you can't, you'll need to give notice. Your contract still holds if you can't pay the rent...

you can't be kicked out for losing a job.

if you do need benefits it is an issue for the landlord as many insurers and buy-to-let mortgage companies won't insure him if his tenants are on benefits. And he WILL find out. All is not lost however - keep the landlord informed and see what can be done. If you are good tenants and able to pay, he would much rather keep you - changing tenants costs money and is hassle.

sorry about this, but everyone gets made redundant at least once so you aren't alone.

wendybird77 Fri 26-Apr-13 19:53:31

REALLY! I'm shocked that LL's insurance won't be valid if claimants claim HB or other benefits!? So very many people in this country do claim benefits, even in-work benefits that I just can't see how that is enforceable?

In your shoes I wouldn't tell the LL - as long as you can pay the rent and maintain the house I can't see it is any of their business. I may get flamed for that, but really, it isn't going to affect how you care for the house. If you can't pay the rent then you are going to have to talk to the council / shelter about what your next steps are. Sorry OP, what a worrying time for you.

Crutchlow35 Fri 26-Apr-13 20:22:00

Yes really and what a stupid thing to say. Many insurance companies don't allow benefits claimants as tenants. What if there were a fire and the insurance doesn't pay out or a flood or break in. Any insurance claiming issue could be a massive issue for a landlord. Insurance companies are notorious for not paying out....but, oh as long as the tenant is ok.

Well, hang on a second, is anyone on the thread actually a lawyer? I'm not - cards on the table grin - but it seems to me that the LL's insurance would be granted to him/her on the basis of the tenants that sign up and are credit checked at the start of the tenancy.
A subsequent change in their circumstances wouldn't necessarily invalidate the insurance. Also, of course, not all insurance specifies no benefits.

Definitely check the fine print of your rental agreement; if it doesn't say you have to notify the LL of a change in circumstances, then don't. Simple.

Maybe worth checking with Shelter? They would actually know what they're talking about. Not like me.

flow4 Sat 27-Apr-13 01:13:18

"Maybe worth checking with Shelter? They would actually know what they're talking about. Not like me." grin This is a really good bit of advice!

There was a lots of talk earlier this year about lenders refusing to allow tenants on benefits, but the sensible providers backed down ( see this Telegraph article ).

Shelter is running a campaign to get more lenders to allow it. They point out it's an unenforceable condition.

If you have already signed a tenancy, then I'd be surprised if a landlord was allowed to evict you because you had to sign on. I can't imagine your legal rights would be affected... But like Boulevard suggests, phone and ask. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now