Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know Purley-on-Thames?

(6 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Wed 24-Apr-13 16:59:57

DH has just viewed a house there which he likes (I've not seen it yet) but we don't know the area at all as we currently live in Surrey.

Anyone?

Thanks smile

Lilymaid Wed 24-Apr-13 17:07:27

It is at the western end of Reading - between Tilehurst and Pangbourne. There are several large estates of houses there on either side of the A329. The village, such as it is, is on the river side of the A329 - nice church but used to have lots of holiday shacks there which have been gradually replaced by detached houses. It is really an outer suburb of Reading and near to some nice countryside.

TerrysNo2 Wed 24-Apr-13 17:17:41

Thanks Lily do you think its a nice place to live? The house ticks all the other boxes (size, schools, nice road, commuteable) so although we would prefer something a bit livelier (even one pub!) somethings got to give.

MrsJamin Wed 24-Apr-13 20:06:21

Purley is lovely, but yes quite quiet. I am in West Reading and it's livelier the closer you get to town (probably stating the bleedin obvious!). What kind of place are you looking for? Do you need to find school places for children?

TerrysNo2 Thu 25-Apr-13 00:14:17

we need a reception place for DS in September. DH said it was very nice with the Thames and woodland nearby although there are no facilities. As I said though, we realise for the kind of house we want, something's got to give so maybe the perfect location is it.

I understand we could walk to pangbourne or get a bus for shops/amenities?

MrsJamin Thu 25-Apr-13 07:54:59

I would have thought a big factor is whether you can get your dS into a school then? School places have only just been sorted and there is a places crisis in reading so it may be worth checking with west berks council over where has any space. To be utterly frank I don't like your chances.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: