Talk

Advanced search

Please find me an area to house hunt in

(5 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Fri 19-Apr-13 14:47:16

We have just had an offer on our house accepted and the house we wanted to buy agreed a sale a week ago sad. I have been searching online but I can't find any houses I want to go and view. I would love some suggestions from anyone who can help. Our criteria is:

Area
- max 1 hour into London terminal from house (eg: 20 min walk + 40 min train or 5 min walk + 50 min train)
- near to a village / town with some amenities (10 min walk) - coffee shops, pubs, small supermarket
- very close to a good primary school
- preferably north west of London but could consider elsewhere.

House
- not a new house, preferably something victorian - 1930's which we can add some value to
- 4 bedrooms
- 3 reception rooms
- 1700sqft minimum
- we're not afraid of renovations
- £500,000 max

Places I have found that sound nice and fit the criteria so far are Wendover and Haddenham.

Anyone?

Thanks!

ClaudiaCutie Fri 19-Apr-13 15:15:33

Can't offer any suggestions but 1700ft for less than half a million sterling sounds like a hell of an ask with the other things on your list, sorry. A few years ago we were considering similar spec and I used a book called "escape from london" which methodically considered lots of places X number of minutes train journey from each of the big train terminals. The book was organised around the mainlines rather than postcodes to suit commuters. Worth buying even if it's out of date, a second hand copy would be cheap on amazon and might highlight areas or villages that you've missed. Otherwise it's a matter of methodically plodding through the postcodes on Rightmove unfortunately. Good luck with your search!

TerrysNo2 Fri 19-Apr-13 19:25:31

but the house we wanted ticked all the boxes sad sad sad

MrsJamin Fri 19-Apr-13 21:25:55

Sounds like you really have to move on, emotionally. You may find something you love more or work out better in the long run. Have you considered going west? Some areas around Reading may fit your criteria.

TerrysNo2 Sat 20-Apr-13 00:54:38

MrsJamin I know, everything has to match up to this one at the moment and its just not.

The one thing thats stopping me moving on is knowing that the people buying it are in a chain of 7, and I don't know so much about the property market at the moment but from what I've heard, a chain of 7 is pretty precarious. So I keep wondering, if they are actually going to complete successfully confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now