Talk

Advanced search

Horrors! white satin paint turned greenish...eeek

(9 Posts)
Pudden Thu 18-Apr-13 19:57:43

I bought a tin of white satin Furniture and Cupboard paint to give my kitchen cupboards doors a makeover. They are wooden albeit crap wood so I gave them a good sand down and primed them with wood primer.

I was dismayed to find that once the paint became touch dry after a couple of hours the colour changed to an odd greenish milky shade- DEF. not white! 2nd coat went on white and that too changed to the greenish one.

I am rather pee'd off to be precise- 12 doors took a long time with all the prep and the end result looks dreadful. I could have cried- still could and dh is doing his best "told-you-so" expression

Anyone have any advise please?

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 18-Apr-13 20:02:17

All is not lost. You've done the prep. All you need now is a top coat.

Have you got a scrap of wood that you can test the white on to see if its the white thats a problem or something seeping through from another layer - primer or the wood?

Pudden Thu 18-Apr-13 20:05:54

thank you! I'll paint a bit of pallet tomorrow to see if that turns pukey as well

PigletJohn Thu 18-Apr-13 20:07:28

is it water paint or oil? And the undercoat?

how long did you stir it for?

what was the previous finish on these doors? How old are they?

they are in the kitchen, so will have an ingrained film of greasy dirt. How did you clean it off?

was it a new brush?

Pudden Fri 19-Apr-13 09:10:15

PigletJohn

both oil based paint

stirred it with palette knife for good five mins

previously coated wood and they are about ten years old

washed down twice with sugar soap and then rinsed twice

new brush and roller

I have tested it this morning on a piece of scrap wood and also over white painted wood and it has turned greenish on these also. Knickers!
I bought it from Wilko's the other week and haven't got the receipt anymore (paid cash)

I am going to contact the company to see what they say.
Thank you both

veryuglyhouse Fri 19-Apr-13 17:43:13

It's not the paint, it's the oils in the stain (which the cupboards were presumably stained in before you painted) leaching through.

I think you need to do it in a water based paint.

Pudden Sat 20-Apr-13 08:46:37

veryuglyhouse but the paint turned greeny over unstained and unteated wood as well. <scratches head>

I've kicked the cupboards this morning which made me feel better for a second. Will try sanding a bit of one lightly and then do a test patch in a water based paint to see what happens

cheers

Pudden Thu 25-Apr-13 16:19:36

UPDATE
I contacted the company who make the paint and got an immediate response. They couldn't apologise enough and said it may have been a rogue tin of paint grin and sent me a voucher for 2.5l tin of Dulux Trade Diamond eggshell.

Got it today and couldn't believe the price of it- nearly £50!

Will be enough to do my cupboards and downstairs doors as well.

Big thumbs up to ICI Paints; excellent customer relations

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 25-Apr-13 16:50:39

Good to hear. Happy painting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now