Talk

Advanced search

What colour to paint our front bit around door?

(9 Posts)
JazzAnnNonMouse Thu 18-Apr-13 15:13:58

It's in awful need of a repaint - like most of the house but we're getting there! As the weather has perked up its made me look outside and see how tired and grubby the house looks. (We moved in dec)

Anyway, house is fairly typical ex council 1950s brick. We're end of terrace.
It has concrete steps leading up to it and concrete all around the house as its on a slight hill and the front drops to the front garden iyswim.
It has concrete? Cover going around the front door, can't knock it down as it also goes across over next doors door too..
Next doors half is painted white but I feel that gets grubby quickly. Ours is painted magnolia (yuck!) and whilst its better for grub I'm not really a fan of magnolia.
I would like something a bit more sophisticated but still practical.
At the moment paint is chipped and I think they used just normal emulsion... shock

What type of paint do I need?
How do I prep it?

Most importantly what colour?! Front door is white btw but this may change when we get round to replacing windows and doors.

JazzAnnNonMouse Thu 18-Apr-13 15:14:59

And also is there anything we can do to make the concrete look less concretey? The steps are slightly difficult as they're shared steps but could potentially do half?!

PigletJohn Thu 18-Apr-13 16:19:36

if it is concrete, you can use a masonry paint. They are available off the shelf in various pale colours suitable for an old cottage, plus black and chocolate brown when available, or you can go to a Dulux Decorors Centre and they will mix other colours to order (at twice the price). Get smooth, not textured. It is hard wearing and can be scrubbed or hosed. I have an idea it has a 15-year life, but check that. On bare brick or concrete, apply a couple of coats thinned with water first to kill the suction. Brush or sand off any loose or flaking material.

IMO pure white looks wrong.

You can also use it to paint stone or concrete steps, but International do Doorstep paints that might be harder wearing. They are usually red

See if your neighbour will agree to painting their side as well. It will look better.

JazzAnnNonMouse Thu 18-Apr-13 21:36:37

I wouldn't call our house a cottage...
It just looks like an ex council brick house.
Want it to look better though

LittleFrieda Fri 19-Apr-13 11:24:32

If your house is red brick, Farrow & Ball 'Pigeon'. Paint your front door that colour too, eventually.

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 21-Apr-13 09:04:31

Yes house is red brick - will take a look at that colour thanks

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 21-Apr-13 09:09:01

Looks kind of green grey? It's a lovely colour actually - am I brave enough?!

Do they do outdoor paint?

LittleFrieda Sun 21-Apr-13 09:40:22

You could go to a dulux decorator centre and ask them to mix you up that colour in a masonry paint.

It's a lovely greeny grey.

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 21-Apr-13 15:37:07

It is lovely - thank you for the suggestion smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now