Talk

Advanced search

survey back, would love some advice

(12 Posts)
GillBates Thu 18-Apr-13 14:57:19

We had a homebuyer report done on a house we are really committed to. It has come back saying the price is reasonable for its condition but that there are a few repairs that need doing. Some of these we were already aware of but there are a few extra things like possibly needing a new hot water tank as there seems to be a leak, and replacing some roof flashing on the conservatory (not even sure what that is). Also need to get electrics checked as the report said something about the earth not looking "modern" (house is 15 yrs old).

The other thing that I would really like some advice on is that the gas meter is in the internal garage. The report says this is unsafe and should be moved outside. Is this the surveyor arse-covering or would we really need to move the gas meter?!

We don't want to piss off he vendors and considering the report says the price is reasonable even with the improvements needed, I don't think he would be very happy with this. But it does seem quite a lot of extra expense that is going to be difficult to afford!

Any advice?

lalalonglegs Thu 18-Apr-13 15:16:35

The repairs sound quite minor but you can try and chisel away a bit if you like. Ask the surveyor why he considers the meter unsafe in present location - many (most) properties do have their meters inside so it doesn't sound dangerous in itself.

nocake Thu 18-Apr-13 16:57:03

That sounds like almost a perfect survey report. Every survey will recommend you have the electrics checked as the surveyor can't do it. A hot water tank and new flashing for a conservatory are not expensive.

If I was your vendor and you tried to drop the price on the basis of that survey I'd tell you to take a hike.

LIZS Thu 18-Apr-13 17:03:48

When you say an internal garage do you mean the meter isn't sited on an outside wall ? Perhaps that was fine at the time it was built but doesn't meet current buildings regs in which case it doesn't need doing immediately. Some utility companies are replacing meters anyway so it may be that they could resite at same time. Flashing is the membrane which seals joints such as between an extension roof and original wall. Electrics is just a standard comment. Hot water tank wouldn't be expensive.

spotty26 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:26:46

The Gas Company may even do this for nothing.

Tbh I find it really annoying when people try to chip the price for things revealed on the survey that are minor. We have never done it to the seller but people always seem to try to do it to us. I put the offer in on the property knowing there is a crack here, damp patch there etc. Unless riddled with damp, condemned boiler, new roof needed etc I always wear it. Maybe we are foolish but the fact the surveyor goes as far as to say it is a reasonable price you may just pee off your seller. 9/10 things they reveal are just @rse covering and do not actually need doing urgently.

Are you in a hot area? If so wear it. If not give it a go but in a nice way!

GillBates Thu 18-Apr-13 20:03:59

Thank you so much, that is really helpful and reassuring! Its just the way they word these things that makes me worry, and think it makes it sound much worse than it is. I didn't want to try and drop the price at all but wasn't sure how big/expensive these issues were so you have all put my mind at rest, thank you.

I think it said that the boiler was on an internal wall and therefore not safe, but again this is probably arse-covering isn't it? I think I would like to get an electrician to check the earthing though as that does sound a bit worrying.

So how much would replacing hot water tank (15 yrs old) cost roughly?

I am now worried what the survey on our house will bring up as they are havng a full structural done so I guess it will end up sound very worrying whatever it says!

AliceWChild Thu 18-Apr-13 20:47:52

Boiler thing, ours was recently condemned because we didn't have a pressure release valve going outside. Told it had to be on an external wall for that to happen. In some ways it doesn't matter, just a risk of boiling water shooting out in house, but that might be what they're referring to. I agree though that I wouldn't renegotiate on stuff like that,

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 19-Apr-13 06:47:11

Gill, you can get quotes for the work to be done if you're concerned.

LIZS Fri 19-Apr-13 08:25:37

Your solicitor will be asking vendors regarding things like boiler/CH servicing, planning and buildings regs for conservatory etc and proof of any guarantees. Might be worth seeing this before getting quotes. If British Gas service a boiler, for example, they will state on the service sheet whether any follow-up work is required and if it perhaps doesn't meet current specifications but is actually safe.

PastaBeeandCheese Fri 19-Apr-13 09:09:37

My aunt had the same issue with her gas meter. She had to have it moved because she ripped out kitchen (where it was cited) and replaced boiler.

She was quoted £1,000 but I phoned British Gas and found out she was listed to have it replaced anyway so they did it for free!

I agree it's not unsafe per say, it just isn't the safest location and medium term it should be moved. We have a similar issue with our hot water system. The boiler is in the airing cupboard. When we have it replaced we will need the floo (sp?) moved so it feeds to an outside wall but all the advice we've had is that it's fine to leave it where it is while it is working and we have it serviced every year by British Gas.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 19-Apr-13 11:51:03

Sorry to be clueless, but are indoor gas meters unsafe then? Our (hopefully) new house has one...

GillBates Fri 19-Apr-13 12:22:07

The actual boiler is in the loft, so I assume it feeds to an external wall. The hot water tank and immersion is in the airing cupboard, and then the gad meter is in the integrated garage.

The seller is on holiday now but I think I will ask if I can get a quote from a plumber on this when he's back. Not so much to want to negotiate down but just to check that its not going to need total replacement or anything.

I understand why surveyors have to be circumspect but its so difficult to know which bits of what they say need to be seen as real problems, and which are arse-covering.

They also said that as the double glazing is 15 years old it may need replacing in the next year. I am ignoring that one as my parents have had double glazing for overe 30 yeatrs and its never needed replacing.

So worried now that our buyers are going to take fright over similar issues when they get a survey done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now