Talk

Advanced search

Being Thick! Satinwood or Eggshell ?!

(8 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Tue 16-Apr-13 21:04:17

Hi,

I am RUBBISH at all of this! We are painting our house (well, my mum very kindly is) before we move in. Just going for Dulux Timeless throughout until we live in it for a while and see how the rooms 'feel' before deciding on colours.

Anyhooo, the downstairs doors, banisters and all the skirting boards also need doing (will be white) and I haven't a scooby if I should be using a satinwood or eggshell paint (will be in white). Can anyone explain the difference to me? I did google but am none the wiser! I have two young DC.

Many thanks
TOWIK

steppemum Tue 16-Apr-13 21:36:16

It is just how shiny the finish is. Satinwood is shinier than eggshell. They are all washable and pretty tough

One warning though. I had a pot of eggshell (think it was crown) and it was water based, wash the brushes in water. Very easy, dried fast , no smell, very easy to do brushes.

Then I ran out and bought new pot, (dulux??) and it is oil based, and a PITA. One drip in wrong place is hell to remove, it smells for days, it doesn't go on as nicely and it is a nightmare to clean brushes.

Easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the small print which tells you how to clean the brushes!

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 16-Apr-13 22:42:54

Ooo thanks. ok, will check the tins tomorrow! I was hoping for a more matt finish on the doors and bannister so might go for eggshell although there will be lots of hands using it (don't mind it being more shiny on the skirtings)

Ponders Tue 16-Apr-13 22:50:43

satinwood is water soluble afaik, & although it might be shinier than eggshell, it still isn't really shiny (not like gloss)

I bought some emulsion for walls, & some satinwood for woodwork, at local hardware store yesterday & fwiw bloke there def implied that satinwood is better than eggshell.

steppemum Tue 16-Apr-13 23:26:49

interesting ponders, we have eggshell everywhere and it is pretty indestructible, and we have 3 dcs.
The water/oil base depends on the make, not the finish.

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 16-Apr-13 23:46:14

During my brief visit today I.noticed eggshell only in.white but satin in lots of colours. Mind you I only had a quick look ?

PigletJohn Wed 17-Apr-13 03:29:02

I had a house done in eggshell and didn't like it.

It looks like undercoat and retains dirt and fingermarks.

I prefer satinwood which is also good for radiators.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 17-Apr-13 08:00:16

Thank you for clarifying, means trip to Homebase might be a bit less confusing !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now