Talk

Advanced search

Do Estate agents ALWAYS tell you there's been an offer on the house you've viewed

(24 Posts)
BellyChancer Tue 16-Apr-13 19:57:57

#saw a house recently, on the market for £xxx. i like it. but obviously lots to think about. agent told me there's been an offer on it for xxx+5k. I thought, really? cos it's been sitting here unsold for six months and the moment I view it there's been an offer. My budget will be tight, so I said to the agent, right, well, the last thing I want is to get into a bidding war, and I can't go higher than what they've offered, so if this offer falls through, then, maybe ring me. And I thought, ok, well, nice house, shame, goodbye then. Then she clawed it back and said 'oh, well, that couple doesn't have finance in place!' She knows i don't need agreement.

Is this a total cabaret?

BellyChancer Tue 16-Apr-13 19:59:16

AND.... the last house she showed me, this happened too. There was allegedly a bidding war going on wrt the house while I was viewing it. I didn't top the alleged bid, so that was that.

HOw long does a property take to show up on the price register ?

flow4 Tue 16-Apr-13 20:07:43

A couple of months after completion, I think... So no help in negotiations.

I've also been told of (mythical?!) interest and/or offers from FTBs without finance in place. hmm

nocake Tue 16-Apr-13 21:49:55

Their code of practice means they're not allowed to lie about the existence of offers... but of course they all do because there's no way for you to prove they're lying. Remember how to tell if an estate agent is lying... their lips will be moving.

You played it exactly right. Walk away and see what happens. You can always go back another day.

whataboutbob Tue 16-Apr-13 21:52:21

Estate agents- all the power, and the morals of, of,of... well I'm struggling to find a comparison. How about Mark Thatcher? Loves money but too thick to earn it through hard work/ talent. Marries for money (twice), gets involved in a coup in a tin pot African country. And gets called a Sir.
OK rant over, this is not much help to you i realise. I can see you're not fooled by her tactics. The old " someone else is very interested/ has just put in an offer", is up there along with showing you an unspeakable dive on your first visit of the day, gradually building up to a half decent property at the end, by which time you are so relieved you nearly buy it there and then.

whataboutbob Tue 16-Apr-13 21:53:45

Nocake: I love your how to tell if an estate agent is lying!

HomeEcoGnomist Tue 16-Apr-13 21:59:00

In a word: yes

Just like recruitment consultants always tell you your candidate has another offer/ needs to accept by 5pm/ won't accept the offer you want to make because it's too low etc etc

<can you tell I've had enough of RCs today>

BooksandaCuppa Tue 16-Apr-13 22:05:54

We've actually had the (almost) opposite from EAs in the past. When we were selling our last house, several viewers were told by the EA that we'd been on the market for ages and had no offers and were desperate to sell. Complete lie. We'd been on two weeks and had one offer already...

Needless to say, we didn't go with the same agent this time round. Independent one this time with a well-deserved professional reputation.

Not that you have much choice of who you're dealing with as a buyer <helpful>

nocake Tue 16-Apr-13 22:46:14

We're selling through a very good agent but unfortunately the house we want to buy is on with the most crooked agent in town. In the past I've caught them out lying and trying to cover it up, which I suspect ended the career of the woman involved. I'm pretty sure the agent we're now dealing with is lying to us but I have to play nice because she's our route to the house we want.

AliceWChild Wed 17-Apr-13 08:17:24

Yes they lie. When buying ours they really struggled to fit us in for our 2nd viewing as we were on tight timescales so they pulled the stops out to switch things around. But later the same day when we were putting our offer in they created a tale of someone else who was interested who'd suddenly appeared the day before, even though we knew they hadn't had a chance to show anyone round. It was wonderful watching them create a more and more ludicrous tale as they contradicted themselves and realised what we already knew.

And a house we looked at that was part exchange was variously because they wanted to downsize, upsize, stay in the area, leave the area. Still on with the same statement which contradicts what they told me. But then different people at the agency contradicted each other too.

Levantine Wed 17-Apr-13 08:19:13

They all lie. I rarely saw a house where there wasn't a second viewing with very vry interested buyers that very afternoon.

BellyChancer Wed 17-Apr-13 14:22:34

thanks. now i know i'm not cynical.

what will happen now is that either

1) other buyers' finance is agreed and if so, so be it. there'll be another house
2) their finance isn't agreed and the agent rings me back at which point can offer a bit less than what they offered. but with finance in place.

stay calm. stay detached.

KLou111 Wed 17-Apr-13 14:36:07

By law, estate agents are meant to put your offer in writing aswell as by phone when they ring the vendor.
They of course in 99% of cases do not do this!!
When we bought our house, it had been on the market for over 18 months, and the day after we viewed it we got a call saying they had had an offer that morning (yeah right!). We knew we wanted the house so put in an offer £10k lower than asking. We were told the offer was lower than the other one. We told them to put it forward anyway as we were in no chain and could complete within a month, so our circumstances were entirely different.
Within 2 minutes they were back on the phone saying it had been rejected. We knew they hadn't put it forward.

Anyway, we were in negotiations for 3 days re the price, and on asking someone else about the other offer, surprise surprise it didn't exist! We were so tempted to report them as it was very bad practice, and exactly why the offer in writing law came into play. We got the house in the end, but still think the agents are wankers!

But bottom line, if you like the house, put in an offer, preferably sitting in front of the agent with the vendor on the phone, what harm can it do.

DENMAN03 Wed 17-Apr-13 21:16:06

I remember once I viewed a house which I loved. Stayed for ages with the sellers and they knew I loved it. I made an offer which was 'rejected'. Pretty close to the asking price. Three days later the sellers came to my door ( I had mentioned where I lived!) and asked why I hadnt put in an offer. They had had suspicions with the agent and felt I was really keen! The agent had to do rather a lot of arse licking I can tell you!! I did buy the house in the end and the sellers got a rather good discount on the agents fees!!

JennyFromTheBog Wed 17-Apr-13 21:38:47

wow. Seriously!? that takes the biscuit doesn't it.

Beaverfeaver Wed 17-Apr-13 22:31:17

Denman -
That's shocking behaviour! But what's in it for the agent to not sell their house to you by not putting your offer forward? Makes no sense to me

Jaynebxl Thu 18-Apr-13 07:06:16

This reminds me of when we were looking for a house 7 years ago. We went to see a nice house which we knew had been on the market a couple of months because we had been watching closely. The EA at the viewing was so pushy and kept telling us that we really needed to get an offer in fast because these properties were always snapped up instantly, and that it was possible an offer had already come in that morning. Eventually I said, but we know that's not true don't we, since it has been on the market a couple of months? He didn't have a reply to that one.

EeyoreIsh Thu 18-Apr-13 07:14:10

some estate agents are terrible! We booked to see some houses this week. turns out one is about to be exchanged on. They assure me the other one didn't have an offer accepted, but it does have an offer in that has not been accepted or rejected yet. seeing houses like that is a total waste of time as I have no intention of gazumping others.

JennyFromTheBog Thu 18-Apr-13 12:11:36

Beaver, I guess they are good at guaging how much money you have, and if they think that you want THIS house they'll read your mind and guess that you'll go 3 k higher, and if they READ your mind wrong then they say to the next viewer oh, 245 has just been turned down........ it's risky but I reckon they know the houses that they'll get away with doing it on. some houses, they like having on their books i think. they reel in 50 viewers iwth the one house and they couldn't do that if they sold it in 48 hours. So they keep it viewable for a biiiiiit longer than necessary. then they have 49 viewers on their books.

JennyFromTheBog Thu 18-Apr-13 12:15:11

Estate agent was recently asking me 'so what school do your kids go to, this one or the other one, what bus route you take, or do you drive or take the train? do you have family near by, did you grow up here? QUESTIONS QUESTIONS. and I was holding back... i didn't want her to know that my kids went to the school 3 minutes away from the house. I told her they went tothe other one! ha ha. was vague about family. yeh, near ish, round and about. I feel that if you let them know how much one house suits you so much more than another house, then they use it against you. eg, another house in teh same bracket is on a bus route that other people use (but not me) so she is fish fish fish to find out whehter to play games with you over this house or the other sense. typing quickly here, i hope i make sense.

BooksandaCuppa Thu 18-Apr-13 13:46:30

One thing that really annoys me is when agents (when you're buying, not selling) ask why you won't consider looking at a more expensive house (because they've got your all financial details just to be able to make you an appointment to view one of their properties - this used to happen more a few years ago than recently) and say 'But you can afford to borrow a lot more than that.' 'Yes, but we don't want to...'

Grrr, the whole thing makes so angry about how irresponsible lenders, brokers and agents (caveat, some, not all) were a few years ago.

AugustaProdworthy Thu 18-Apr-13 13:57:12

One agent round here seemed to time viewings so we always seemed to be after another couple who were 'really interested' . I hated it as it felt like we were being pressured during the viewing and would need to make a quick decision because if this (real??) other interested party. It's all bobbins really isn't it?!

MarvinMediumSpatular Thu 18-Apr-13 14:23:21

We viewed a house several years ago admittedly before we put our house on the market. WE fell in love with it - it was the one we wanted and no other. so we told EA we were going to sell our house and if we did would they accept £xxx - the EA said there had been so much interest in it - it would be gone by the time we sold our house.

so we had a rethink and stayed where we were (you know where this is going right?) ... it stayed on the market for a further 3 years! every so often we'd consider going to talk to them about selling it to us when we sold - but their EA told us until we had actually sold we couldn't look around it again.

Eventually we moved to another area - but i do wonder if i should have popped a note in their door telling them how their EA was mucking about.

Deaglan Tue 14-May-13 12:00:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now