Talk

Advanced search

Hall, Stairs and Landing Carpet

(9 Posts)
deedeelondon Mon 15-Apr-13 22:50:08

Does anyone know of any carpet remnant shops in North or East London?' I've blown my budget on decorating my HSL and not left myself with the means to carpet it. Just recovering from the quote I've had from local carpet shop (£2000) - no chance at the mo, but can't live with these bare floorboards for much longer. Two flights of stairs and a long landing. Has anyone got any ideas...

greyvix Fri 19-Apr-13 22:21:44

I don't live in this area, but I am sure someone will come up with a creative solution.

Kahlua4me Fri 19-Apr-13 22:25:26

Have you tried Freecycle? We have just been given a fantastic carpet from someone and it is perfect for our stairs and landing.
They had recently moved and extended the hallway so carpet then did not fit. Excellent fot us as just the right size. It is quite new, hardly worn and we got the underlay too!

betterwhenthesunshines Sat 20-Apr-13 18:28:19

That sounds a lot. I've just a a quote for 4 bedrooms (3 are big doubles) and 1 flight stairs and long landing (7m).

All of that comes in at £3k.

carpet is 50/50 wool/ synthetic (about £18)
Best quality underlay (£7.95 per sq.m)
including fitting, gripper rods etc (fitting about £3.95 per sqm + £40 extra for stairs)

wonkylegs Sat 20-Apr-13 19:19:32

Have you tried Franks the flooring centre - no idea if they are any good but they are always on Metro FM saying they will beat any other quote. Shops throughout the NE

wonkylegs Sat 20-Apr-13 19:28:32

Sorry misread your post we're probably a bit far away.

CreatureRetorts Sat 20-Apr-13 19:56:45

Local carpet shops do charge high prices because they tend to sell better quality stuff.

I went to a carpet warehouse place that has rolls of remnants and prices were at least half that of the local carpet fitters.

Or you could buy the carpet yourself online plus underlay etc and find an independent fitter on mybuilder.com? Someone quoted me £70 for stairs, hallway and landing. I didn't use them in the end as we couldn't find carpet we liked but they had good reviews.

PigletJohn Sat 20-Apr-13 20:31:53

On the East London/Essex borders: Lambourne Carpets of Chingford.

They are a trade warehouse but sell to the public, were recommended to me my a chum who has a family furnishings business.

No glossy showroom but a good range, with flooring you can look at.

They do a lot of shopfitting, hotels, offices etc

Far better and cheaper than Carpetwrong. Good deals on underlays and accessories, where the High Street "Discount" shops make their money out of you.

They prefer to put you in touch with their regular independent carpetlayers but will include it in your order if you want. For stairs it is better if they measure up themselves as there may be winders that have to be individually cut.

deedeelondon Mon 22-Apr-13 21:12:26

Thanks for all the suggestions everyonesmile. I willl check out Lambourne Carpets - sounds like just the sort of place I'm looking for!
Lucky you Kahlua getting a carpet from Freecycle! Amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now