Talk

Advanced search

2 offers withdrawn in 2 weeks - devastated

(23 Posts)
doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 19:57:08

As the thread title states ................ we're so angry and upset right now. Our first buyers pulled out after their survey revealed more work than they wanted to do. We were obviously extremely disappointed but tried hard to look on the positive side - it was early days etc. We accepted a lower offer on Saturday from new buyers but the EA have just phoned to say that they're now offering 10k less ........... we have declined! Their reason was that other 4 bed detached houses are cheaper - well, why did you come and view a more expensive one then? angry I'm in a real state - can't stop crying. We're not asking an unrealistic price - 4 valuations and it's on for the average one - and we're prepared to be flexible ............. within reason.

doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 21:21:35

REALLY PISSED OFF WITH EVERYTHING angry

specialsubject Mon 15-Apr-13 21:25:42

ah, the joys of moving house - not... At least they didn't gazunder you at the last minute.

we had people view and then say 'too big', 'too small', 'needs too much work', 'doesn't need enough work. Argh! Sold it after a while.

stop crying, though. No-one has died.

doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 21:35:27

I know that it's not a life and death situation, SS. I'll probably feel more resiliant tomorrow but am feeling very vilnerable this evening. if it comes across as self-indulgent, I apologise.

rubyrubyruby Mon 15-Apr-13 21:36:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyrubyruby Mon 15-Apr-13 21:37:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 21:45:52

No, we have found the perfect house sad . We're downsizing to a renovation bungalow where we plan to stay forever. The current owner is on holiday until Friday and will, no doubt, be equally disappointed to hear of our situation on his return.

We've looked at so many properties and this one meets our requirements both now and in the future when the 2 dds leave home.

DENMAN03 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:49:38

Have you asked the last ones if they would meet in the middle? It may be worth it if you have found your dream house.

rubyrubyruby Mon 15-Apr-13 21:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

motherofvikings Mon 15-Apr-13 21:51:52

We've had 4 offers withdrawn now!

Buyer 1 changed his mind after less than 6h!!!
Buyer 2 couldn't get a buy to let mortgage on it with one mortgage company so he walked.
Buyer 3 just vanished
Buyer 4 decided she didn't like the structure (ex council prc), strangely enough just after her credit history threw up some issues

We had to move for dh's work so are desperate to sell! House has been back on the market this time for 10 days so for and have had 5 viewings.

It is an utter PITA and no one should be allowed to offer on a house and then just change their mind for no bloody reason!

Houses all sell in the end... The waiting is a killer especially if you have control issues

doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 21:54:44

We had already accepted 10k less than we really planned to, D03, and just can not afford to drop any more becuase we need money to renovate the bungalow. In it's present state, it would need a minimum of 20k spent on it to make it habitable.

MintyyAeroEgg Mon 15-Apr-13 21:55:17

When you feel a bit better tomorrow, why not ask the Estate Agent to go back to the second couple and ask them for their evidence re. cheaper 4 bedroom houses. All house pricing is done on comparables - it is how surveyors and EAs do it - and then try and look at the other properties objectively and see if the second couple don't have a point? Maybe?

doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 21:57:17

Thank you for understanding, MOV. It's not life-threatening but it is soul-destroying. I genuinely hope you have a proceedable buyer VERY soon smile

doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 22:01:52

We had 4 valuations and priced the house in the middle. The offer was accepted at the lowest value. There are certainly cheaper houses out there but they are small 4 bed detached whereas ours is a spacious 4 bed / 5 reception property. It does need some updating but it was priced accordingly.

FedupofTurkey Mon 15-Apr-13 22:03:52

Doglover - just to offer you support, we are going through the same thing. Selling 2 houses though! Had offer on one, accepted, so we found our dream house. Chain then broke sad Just sold other house, but not enough to offer on dream house as they won't reduce it enough sad Its very stressful

doglover Mon 15-Apr-13 22:05:48

Thanks, FUOT. I sincerely hope you manage to find a buyer for your property. Stressful ..................... ummmm, YES!

Turnipinatutu Mon 15-Apr-13 23:31:29

So sorry to hear this Doglover.
But I wouldn't be surprised if they are just trying it on.
They obviously liked your property best, otherwise they would have gone straight for one of the cheaper properties.

doglover Tue 16-Apr-13 10:55:09

Well, another day dawns. I'd like to say that things look better but, after a sleepless night, I'd be lying! Having walked the dogs, I'm toying with either having a nap or going to Tesco - I think the nap might be the more exciting option!

motherofvikings Tue 16-Apr-13 13:43:50

Dog - our house has been back on the market and today we got 2 offers! smile one was way too low an the other is awaiting financial qualification but thibgs can change VERY quickly in the property market it seems.

Deep breaths and just move on from it. It's better that buyers pull out early on rather than just before you exchange/ complete!

doglover Tue 16-Apr-13 14:12:54

Yes, you're right, MOV. Deep breathing is definitely needed! I agree that pulling out later would have been simply awful.

I think it's the extreme nature of the rollercoaster ride of moving house that I'm finding so hard. At the weekend we were over the moon to receive another offer and by Monday pm, we were back to square one.

We're trying to get ourselves straight financially - it's been tough - and I'm anxious that we won't get through this.

CuddyMum Tue 16-Apr-13 17:25:19

Chin up doglover smile

I am still holding my breath with our second buyer until we exchange. Then I'll start panicking about our sellers changing their mind too.

Motherofvikings is absolutely right - things change so quickly.

flow4 Wed 17-Apr-13 07:05:57

I'm sorry to hear this, dog. It's all so stressful, isn't it?!

Just a word of warning about valuations, having had my own fingers burnt this week. EAs value houses higher than valuers do - sometimes a lot higher. I had 3 EA valuations: 2 said £115-125k, and one was lower, saying market at £110-115k, but expect to achieve £105-110k. However, the mortgage valuation came back at just £95k - so a whole £20k and over 15% below the 'average' of £115k. sad

Other people are telling me the same thing - many EAs over-value. hmm

It probably depends on timing: if you can wait, you can hang on for the price you want. But if you want to move fast, you may need to accept a lower offer.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping ruby is right, and everything will fall into place when the time is right. smile

doglover Wed 17-Apr-13 19:29:13

Many thanks, F4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now