Talk

Advanced search

Reattaching light fitting

(6 Posts)
HappyHippyChick Mon 15-Apr-13 16:35:52

So the dcs have managed to pull down the ceiling light in their room angry and I need to reattach it so I have a couple of questions for anyone who knows about this stuff!

Firstly the light fitting that has come off has two wires a brown and a blue and the fixture on the ceiling has a red and a black... So which goes to which or doesn't it matter?

Secondly, do I need to turn the power off at the mains or is it enough just to have the light switched off?

As you can probably tell I am no DIY expert but can't face having to pay someone to screw two wires in!

Trumpton Mon 15-Apr-13 16:45:55

Firstly STOP !!

Turn power off at MAINS. ( You might get away with turning lighting circuit off but you are much safer turning off ALL the supply ) This will mean you will have to reset all the electrical equipment.

Red goes to brown (live)
Black goes to Blue ( neutral )

But really , I urge you to get someone who has more knowedge to do it.
I was an electrician's daughter and have done a fair bit of electrical work and it can kill.

MrsRoss26 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:48:47

Definitely turn off the light at the fusebox - if you're not sure which fuse relates to lighting in that part of the house you're best off turning off the electrics to the whole house. Do NOT do anything without turning off this part of the electrical supply, or you'll electrocute yourself!

For the rewiring itself, you're best googling this as I don't want to mislead you, apologies.

HappyHippyChick Mon 15-Apr-13 16:55:36

Thanks guys, I am clearly deranged thinking I can do this myself! blush
I will call an electrician!

Trumpton Mon 15-Apr-13 17:32:15

I am so pleased to hear that . Better safe than ( extremely) sorry.

HappyHippyChick Mon 15-Apr-13 19:42:34

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now