Talk

Advanced search

can you recommend your sliding door and/or window people - either national or in the SW

(7 Posts)
inthesark Mon 15-Apr-13 15:40:00

That's it really - we need two big sliding doors and a whole heap of windows on one facade (apparently there will be a 'window schedule', get us).

We're looking at Sunfold and Folding Sliding Door Co at the moment, so any thoughts on those would be good, but it would be ideal to get the whole package from one supplier I think.

Also, is it normal that they only start making the windows when the holds have been knocked in the walls? We're living upstairs while they do it, and so I'm surprised that it's OK for the house to be that, um, open for a month or more.

NotGoodNotBad Mon 15-Apr-13 20:25:47

We're getting a sliding door put in (local company, other end of the country to you). They have taken measurements and are making the doors, then will come and knock a big hole in the wall and install the door the same day. They said it will be secure the same day, though they may have to finish off the following day.

Another company said it might take them just over a day, but they'd make it secure before leaving it overnight.

Ours is only one door, but I'd have thought the principle is the same - they make the doors in advance and then come and make a hole and fit it.

We've also gone for getting one company to do the lot - I didn't want one guy knocking the wall through, another one coming to fit the door, and finding it was all wrong....

Naebother Tue 16-Apr-13 15:48:33

Tws were very good. As long as you have correct measurements you should be able to order before the wall is knocked down. They do aluminium as well as upvc

inthesark Tue 16-Apr-13 16:48:40

We have the added problem of steels to put in, so am resigned to it not being done overnight. I'm now (seriously) considering walling off the extension until it is all done.

lassman Wed 17-Apr-13 18:54:22

I used Sunfold doors but I keep getting air coming in when the wind blows really bad around my patio doors and on the st door as well

blondebubble Wed 17-Apr-13 19:01:04

lassman that is interesting - I am swithering between sliding and bi-fold but I too have heard that wind can be a problem. Bifold are sealed with a compression seal, very windproof, and sliding - err a sliding one which is much tricker to get windproof.. and I live half way up a hill!

I have been warned off sliding doors but I love the look of them - lusting after the sun paradise Bali 60 atm!

OP have you heard the same thing?

pootlebug Thu 18-Apr-13 10:46:52

We used Sunparadise. Love the doors (monoslide 60), sometimes they were a bit crap to deal with but it all got done in the end and reasonably on time.

Builder's built the hole and then they measured it. Any other way risks the doors not fitting and door people blaming your builder and it all getting expensive and messy. Our builders blocked up the hole with a large secure wooden partition (and embedded our old window in it so there was still some light) and we lived with it like that for a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now