Advanced search

Cracked bath panel.

(8 Posts)
Springforward Sun 14-Apr-13 20:21:23

We recently had a bathroom fitted by an ape. We just don't want anything more to do with the company so we're sorting it ourselves.

We have a p shaped shower bath. The acrylic panel is cracked, about an inch across the top edge, on the curve.

Question is, does anyone know if a good repair is possible?

If not, is it possible to get a tiled plywood panel made?


FishfingersAreOK Sun 14-Apr-13 22:38:27

It would have to be on marine ply, from what I understand (is more waterproof) and don't know much about tiling but am guessing would have to be mosaics in order to have the faintest chance of getting the curve.

It will be very heavy. We have out (flat) panel tiled with the 2 ends fixed and the middle panel removable...if you undo 4 screws and cut through the sealant which is there instead of grout (is at the edges, white silicon to fill the gaps).

You can get anything for a price I guess. No idea how much ours cost as part of the whole refurb. My builder did it and that bit of tiling as was flat/ may be better trying a tiler though?

(Wanders off having been less than useful)

PigletJohn Mon 15-Apr-13 00:23:26

Acrylic bath banels are rubbish.

You say it is a P shaped bath, does that mean a flat panel would not fit? There are some nice flat, panelled or boarded rectangular ones available. If you need an odd-shaped one, you might find one at Plumbworld, they are good for most stuff.

PigletJohn Mon 15-Apr-13 00:29:34

saw this or the 1500mm version

PigletJohn Mon 15-Apr-13 00:56:57

or try the manufacturer or supplier of the bath. Most rectangular panels are machined from MDF which is adequate and much better than plastic, but it would be much harder moulding it to a curve unless there is an industry standard shape.

Springforward Tue 16-Apr-13 20:05:49

Thanks both. I was hoping to avoid buying a replacement as we've no guarantee it won't happen again, our best guess being that it happened when the panel was removed and replaced when we found that the useless fitter had initially installed a bath with a dirty great chip in it....

Anyone know anything about repairing panels?

PigletJohn Wed 17-Apr-13 03:05:47

If it is thin acrylic, I think not. You could try gluing it, but the mend will show and it will crack again. You could try taking it into the garden and applying fibreglass or expanding foam to the back to strengthen it.

Mine went in the bin, with the help of kitchen scissors to cut it up.

PigletJohn Wed 17-Apr-13 03:10:53


It would be possible to laminate a new one out of several layers of ply on a former, but unless you can do it yourself it would be more economical to buy a new bath.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: